Is There a Difference Between the Rehearsal and Groom's Dinner?

I am the mother of the Groom. The wedding is in August, 2010. I don't have a clue. The Bride says I am responsible for the rehearsal dinner. My sister asked what the plans are for the Groom's dinner. Are these the same thing?

By Lynn from St. Paul, MN

I have never heard of a groom's dinner. She must mean the rehearsal dinner, which is the night before the wedding after the rehearsal. Have fun!

I also have never heard of the Groom's dinner, just a rehearsal dinner. Perhaps it is a local custom. You should consult some of the other parents who have had weddings in your area, to see if you have some special customs in your region.

Never heard of a groom's dinner either. The rehearsal dinner could/should be a fun affair before all the seriousness of the actual wedding occurs! Keep it simple and fun.

Same here. Never heard of a groom's dinner. She is probably referring to the rehearsal dinner, which the groom's family is responsible for. This can be done any way you, your family and the couple want to do it.

Some people choose to take everyone in the wedding party and their significant others out to a restaurant. Of course, that can be really pricey; it just depends on what you decide to do. Others choose to have a BBQ in someone's back yard. Here in Louisiana, many choose to cook a large pot of jambalaya, serve it with white beans and a green salad and finish it off with a cake or pie.

The object of the dinner is for all involved in the wedding to get together and get to know each other a little better after the wedding rehearsal, which is, of course, the night before the wedding.

Maybe your sister is confused because there is such a thing as a Groom's Cake (not every wedding has one). But there's no celebration to honor the groom. Except the Bachelor Party, if there's going to be one of those!

The Wedding Rehearsal Dinner is for the Groom's side of the family to pay for. This is usually the only thing that the Groom is responsible for except getting his tux and getting his groomsmen fitted for their tux. My daughter is getting married in May 2010 so I know what needs to be done.

But if he wants to do other things as well, sure he can do that.

Never heard of a Groom's Dinner. I had two sons to marry and we were responsible for the rehearsal dinner for both weddings. For the first wedding we were asked to pay for the Bride's bouquet and the groomsmen flowers. We rented a small restaurant which provided the meal, beer, wine and decorated the tables for one very reasonable price. The second wedding was more elaborate and held in an upscale restaurant. We provided matching ties for all the groomsmen, father and brother of the bride. I usually responded based on the bride's wishes. My friends' advice to me was "keep your mouth shut and wear beige" . I didn't wear beige but I always kept the bride's and my son's wishes in the forefront. Two beautiful weddings.

My daughters husband was from out of state. We did the rehearsal a couple of months in advance. It gave out of town grooman time to come in and have a day with their buddy and do the tux thing and we did the rehearsal that afternoon/evening. The wedding was 300 people at my house. So we did the rehearsal at my house. It gave the families time to bond and stress free.

If you do it the night before it creates more stress for last minute things forgotten and messed up travel arrangements and it doesn't leave a window for out of town bridal party to travel for the wedding. We took a vote and everyone loved coming in advance. It worked for everyone and they raved about it. They all said they would do it for their wedding because it was more pleasant.

Groom's Dinner Ideas
Groom's Dinner Ideas
Weddings PlanningJanuary 2, 2010
child wearing a nice dress
Dealing With Children at a Wedding Rehearsal Dinner
Wedding Rehearsal
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner Invitations Ideas
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner Ideas
🎄