Keeping Cats Off Window Screens

My grown cat keeps climbing on my window screens, wanting to come in the house. Any suggestions of how to keep the cat from climbing and tearing my screens with her claws?

By Vguy

Best Answer

Spritz her with water every time she climbs. Insert the glass for a while and hope she forgets, spray some of the stuff that nurseries carry to deter pets onto the screen.

Best Answer

You could try perfume sprayed on the screen, most cats don't like perfume. Or find a scent the cat is deterred by. You can even leave a scent soaked paper towel in the window. Serves two purposes deters cat and adds a nice scent to your home.

Here is a link that suggests putting a scratching post that is vertical and rub on it some catnip. For more info on this subject of window scratching, see this site:

Cats don't like the scent of lemons, so you can spray some simple pledge or sprinkle with lemon pepper. Or, you can put some rounded molding on the outside, paint it good, and make it so there is no place to set. Putting pretty bottles full of colored water to catch the sun will also fill up the space.

Make her an indoor kitty. ^. .^

Why can't she come in? Maybe you should find a loving home for her.

Our precious cat does the same thing. I was reading suggestions and someone mentioned using double sided tape. Someone else mentioned plastic. Our little "Buddy" goes in and out, we rescued her and she likes going out. She is so cute, she really tells us what to Some nights she will stay out late, we look for her before bed time, but she is not ready to come in yet but when she is she will jump right up on the screen and hang there, just like Velcro... she knows exactly what room we are in so that is how all my screens got tore up.

I just had my screens redone and it cost 131 dollars. So the remark about why can't your cat come in or maybe you should find her a new home was ridiculous. I know exactly why they jump on window screens...have a great day, I am going to try the double sided tape. I don't want to do anything to hurt her.

I buy the expandable screens and put them in the window it blocks the cats from getting the good screens. just put the window down on them.

cat looking through screen
Preventing Cats from Tearing Window Screens
Pets CatsApril 14, 2009
Window Screen
Alternate Uses for Window and Door Screens
Window Screen
Removing Paint From a Door or Window Screen
Soft Bristled Brush
Cleaning Window Screens
Neighborhood Cat On Porch
Keeping Neighborhood Cats Off Porch