Training AdviceDogs

Introducing New Dog to People and Other Dogs

I recently adopted a 3 year old American Bulldog from the animal shelter. She is the most lovable dog ever. From what I can see when other dogs approach her and they start growling she will growl and try to attack. I was wondering if there is any way to control this.

I live in an apartment complex and there are other dogs around. She will walk past the ducks like they are not there, but with dogs she is trying to be all up on it to check them out. Also, she seems to like people, but I'm afraid to have anyone touch her just in case she would try to bite. How do I properly introduce her to animals and to people? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

By Chistina from Virginia Beach, VA

Answers

Check out "Obedience Classes" at a local chapter/branch of the American Kennel Club. Not only will your fur girl learn great skills, she will also learn to react to other people and pets as you command her to do so.

These classes are a great confidence builder for both owner and pet and are actually quite fun. This is a pass/fail class, but don't be disappointed if your dog doesn't pass the first time. (A perfect 10 out of 10 is required for certification and this might take a few tries with a 3 year old who has not had previous training.)

The costs for this course are usually minimal as many of these local chapters are mostly staffed with volunteers. The fees just basically cover expenses. Look into this, Christina, I think you and your new dog will enjoy it! Bless you for taking in a shelter dog.