Speak Aloud to Help You Remember

Use your voice to help you remember. I used to have trouble remembering if I took my pills or turned off a certain appliance in my home. Now I say it out-loud, "It's Monday morning, and I have taken my pills." or, "I am turning OFF the oven (or iron, or whatever appliance)." It may seem a little silly, but when I'm 15 miles down the road, I don't have to turn around and go back home to check on something, because I remember telling myself that I turned off the iron. Try it; it really works!

By skeesics56 from Northwest, OH

Top Comment

Yours is a great tip, it sounds ( no pun intended) that you're an auditory learner. Back in the 70's, science narrowed us all down to three basic sorts of learners. One is auditory, sound. People who learn and remember best this way like to listen to tapes, lectures ( and yes, even the sound of your own voice as reminders!) Another is tactile: these are the people who remember and learn best by touching, moving and doing. If you throw the instruction sheets off to the side and work best just assembling something on your own, you're a tactile. The last one are the visual learners. Showing them pictures, slides, films or diagrams gets the best results.

For me, repeating something out loud wouldn't work. Think I'm a mixture of a tactile and visual. Have always written out a to-do list, and that's a combo of doing and seeing the words. Great tip, though, got me thinking of other ways for better reminders in my "learner" type.

I'm going to try this. Thanks for posting. Might not work on me.

I do this, too! It is helpful to me when I have to go in the basement and remember a few things. So far the men in the white coats haven't carted me off! :)

Thanks for sharing.

I's true! It works! Whenever I see someone talking to themselves, I think that they must be a waitress like me! Waitressing requires a very good memory. :o)

I never thought about it, but I guess I do this with people who give me info on the phone. I repeat it back to them to verify I got it right. I'll try it around home too. I could've used this reminder just this morning. I might've taken two multivitamins. The caffeine hadn't awakened my brain yet. :P

This really does work. I"m glad I'm not alone in doing this. After my husband passed away almost 2 years ago, I had a lot on my mind and was forever doing crazy things getting side tracked, for several months I couldn't think straight and I was nervous that I'd do something crazy like leave the house with the stove on and possibly cause a fire or worse. so to make sure I unplugged the iron or curling iron or lock the door, etc. etc. I too would say "door locked" "coffee pot turned off", "unplugged" then I knew for sure I had done it.

I use this method for doing homework, studing for chapter tests & exams. Results: A's & B's. I wish I had this method way back when I was in school growing up, & not just while I'm college. lol =D

We were taught to use as many of the "learning senses" as possible to retain whatever it is we're wanting to remember or learn. To hear with your ears, see with your eyes, physically write the words with your hands, and speak the words as you write them. You have used 4 of the "learning senses". Usually just repeating things while hearing them helps with most things for me.

It won't be long before I'll be needing everything just to turn around 3 times. LOL I can feel it coming.

Thanks for reminding me Deeli. :-)

Pookarina

Woman trying to remember something with a question mark background.
Tips to Help You Remember
Organizing Memory TricksJuly 29, 2010
Writing in a notebook with a pencil.
Learning Using Acronyms
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
"Stationary" vs "Stationery"
"Stationary" vs "Stationery" - Grammar Tips
A stack of foreign language books.
Tips for Studying a Foreign Language
🎉
🎄