AdviceToddler and Preschooler

Choosing Toys and Other Gifts for a 3 Year Old

My sons 3rd birthday is coming up soon. I have a basic idea on some things to do like having homemade cake, decorations, and a birthday card with a personalized poem/saying by me. I am just stuck with what toys and gifts to get for him. I would like to buy some brand new and used items for him.

By Krystal from Kenora, Ontario

Get things he will enjoy for possibly a couple years. Especially things that may help him learn. He is not at an age where he is going to remember much of the party. I would save your touching poem till he is 5 or 6. Write it down now so you have it recorded somewhere to retrieve. I started making a diary for my daughter when she was young regarding what I was thinking of her at the time and myself as I became a more experienced parent. I still haven't given it to her and she is going on 16 soon. I am thnking of giving it to her when she has a child. Or.. when I die, whichever comes first.

I think the best gift I gave my children was to pass on my lifelong love of reading. At 3, a child has the basic coordination to flip pages, especially if the book has stiff, cardboard-like pages. Better yet, there are books these days that are made of nearly-indestructible materials like Tyvek. Check out your local bookstore for age-appropriate books of appropriate materials. If he'll sit still long enough, reading to him can be wonderful "mommy-&-me" time.

Did you know that Avon carries an entire children's line for babies up to big kids? Adorable designs, Reasonably priced with FREE delivery makes it my easy go to solution for gifts. They have Bath & body, fashion, room decor and toy. Some of my faves are Customizable name totes, sweet monster storage bins, and their Tiny Tillia line. They make unique gifts that get lots of ooohs!