Lawn Fertilizer Tips

Category Lawn
A yellow lawn fertilizer broadcast spreader.
You can help keep your lawn healthy and green in a number of ways, from not removing the clippings after mowing, to using homemade and commercial fertilizers. This is a guide about lawn fertilizer tips.

This page contains homemade lawn fertilizer recipes. Do you have an unhealthy patchy lawn? Making your own lawn fertilizer provides you with the opportunity to go as organic as you like. There are a myriad of fertilizer recipes to choose from many containing household products.

Patchy unhealthy lawn.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

I have never heard such cool ideas as I've heard from this site. Now, I consider myself a pretty resourceful guy. My wife and I bought our first house about 16 months ago so I'm always looking for a way to stretch the budget. Can anyone suggest a tip for lawn fertilizer? I'm open to everything.

Thanks,
Jim in FL

Best Answer

Letting the lawn clippings fall back on the grass adds nitrogen to the lawn and eliminates the need to bag the clippings and send them to the landfill.

Best Answer

I just saw this on the news.

Home Made Lawn Tonic:

One can of pop

(not diet)

One can of beer

(no light beer)

1/2 cup of household ammonia

1/2 cup of liquid dishwashing soap

(do not use antibacterial soap because it will kill important microbes)

1/2 cup of mouthwash

Mix all these together, in the proper amounts, poured it into a 10-gallon hose-end sprayer, and apply it to a lawn while you water.

The pop and beer act as food for the lawn. The ammonia promotes growth and helps make the grass green. The liquid dishwashing soap is a wetting agent and helps the water reach the roots. And the mouthwash actually kills bugs and grubs in the lawn.

Be very careful with the ingredients. The ammonia could kill the grass if too much is used. The tonic should only be used once every three to four weeks in high heat, and even less frequently when the temperatures are not hot. It is also important to only use diswashing soap, dishwasing detergent could be harmful. If you have pets at home, they should also be kept off the lawn for 24 to 36 hours after treatment.

Best Answer

Cut grass quite high. Don't catch the clippings as it will mulch down and feed the soil. Also the ground holds better moisture with more "hair" on top.

Get your lawn cored from time to time and rake sand into it if the soil is compacted.

If you really feel you need to add something to it, try poo tea! A huge bucket (lided) of water with a shovel full of chicken/cow or horse poo. Let it festure for a week, stiring ocasionally and dilute to "tea" strength and apply in a watering can or whatever you have.

Best Answer

Epsom salts. Use it in the spring to green up the grass & help prevent weeds. Pretty cheap too. Directions are on the package.