My Frugal Holiday: Thrifty And Green Christmas

How I saved a lot of money this Christmas and helped save the planet while I was at it:

First, in October, I bought 40 lbs. of apples on 'after Harvest' special and made nearly 2 gallons of applesauce and apple butter. I bought canning jars/lids on clearance since it was just past harvest season. I didn't need to buy all the "usual" canning supplies, I just used what I already had in my kitchen, including two big stockpots. I composted all of the apple scraps.

Next, I collected the ingredients and supplies to make my own "gourmet scone mixes" which included white whole wheat flour, poppy seeds, and walnuts. Some ingredients are usually expensive at the grocery store, so I bought some online in bulk to save some money. The "plastic" bags I used for the scone mixes, I bought in bulk online and are compostable cellophane bags.

Last, I made my own "Christmas Morning" tea blend just for my family. I packaged them in recyclable/compostable brown Kraft bags (30 cents each).

For each "house" in my family (instead of each individual), I put together a special Christmas Morning breakfast package. I included one jar of apple butter, a scone mix, and a bag of tea. I reused boxes and packaging that had been shipped to my house that I've saved up all year. I used any heavy brown packaging paper to wrap the boxes and had my two year old daughter color in the "wrapping paper" with crayons and markers.

To save money on shipping (a lot of money, since one side of my family is in California and the other half is in Vermont!), I shipped packages together to families who still live close together and would be seeing each other during the holidays anyway. I sent three-in-one to Wisconsin, two-in one to California, and another three-in-one to Vermont, and voila! Christmas was done!

The only con was this process was very time consuming - but putting all of that love and energy into each gift is what makes Christmas giving so much fun!

By Brandy from Little Rock, AR

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Several years ago, I purchased Christmas print material on clearance for 99cents/yd. My mom and I sewed them into various sized pillow case-type bags with draw strings/ribbons. We use these to wrap all Christmas gifts each year and keep them afterward. If you can get other members to participate, then you can trade the bags back and forth.

What a wonderful article. I think that You put the true spirit of Family @ Christmas together in one lovely package for your Family members. How very Blessed Your Family is to have such a caring & thoughtful member as yourself. I loved this whole concept.

A woman holding a gift wrapped in recycled paper.
Green Christmas Tips
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJanuary 3, 2011
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
🎄