Mouth Retainers Dropped in a Trash Can

I lost my retainers and later found them to be in the trash can. It was wrapped around in a napkin. What should I use to wash it? Would regular soap be OK?

Carro

Showing: Answers Sort

By SL Edens 1 395 Flag

Wow, Carro....I think you should probably call your orthodontist for this one. Soap and hot water might be fine...but to be safe, call your orthodontist :):)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Allison 21 158 Flag

I'd try soaking them in Listerine. If that kills germs in your mouth, it should also kill germs from the trashcan.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

I once put my son's retainer in boiling water to disinfect it and ruined it. Ask your orthodontist for best cleansing procedure.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By badwater 263 654 Flag

The same thing happened at a restaurant I worked at several years ago. A big family had a dinner & the daughter had a retainer she put in a paper dinner napkin, that got thrown out with the trash after the meal was over & they'd left. The Asst. Manager was the unlucky person to have to search thru that night's trash bags for the retainer. I was soooo glad that it wasn't me having to do that.------I'd imagine making a mixture of bleach & water to rinse it with. Then wash good with soap & water to take the bleach taste off. Congratulations on finding it, I imagine it could prove costly for a replacement.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I would wash with warm soapy water and then soak in room temp Vinegar! That is how we treat nebulizer pieces. Vinegar is a disinfectant. It can be white or cider.

This is a plus as it is also a deodorizer.

My granddaughter who has a retainer soaks hers in Polident.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Wash them in warm ( not hot) soapy water and soak in vinegar or do as my grand daughter does hers and use Polident for dentures for soaking her retainer.

Vinegar ( white or cider) is a disinfectant and a deodorizer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lynda 44 257 Flag

Garbage cans can be the worst harborers of germs of every possible kinds. Don't rely on anything other than boiling water, if the retainer is wire. If plastic, call the orthdontist for some solution to buy. Reg. soap will NOT be reliable for the most harmful germs, virus, fungus, etc. You'd not want to get TB or worse, so be very cautious. It's your health and could be your life at stake. Good luck and God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

wash it as you would your hands with antibacterial soap, rinsing well and stick it in the mouth...whenever something like this happens, I always think of those clips you see on TV where the people from "wherever" live in the worse proverty and filth and you know what...they survive!! A little trash can is never going to kill you...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The best solution would be to take it to the dentist's office. They have a solution that they can soak it in, used daily for everything they can't autoclave with heat, and in eight hours it gets things STERILE. They have very good test data done by the EPA to prove that known pathogens are killed completely by the glutaraldehyde solutions when used properly. It does easily rinse completely off. If you really want it sterile, this is the only sure way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My son's puffer suffered the same accident. We were told to wash it with hot soap and water (which gets rid of most of the germs), then rub a good amount of hand sanitizer all over it (making sure to get in the cracks). Let the sanitizer dry thoroughly and then rinse in warm water. Hand sanitizer is basically gelled alcohol, which kills just about all viruses and bacteria.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Shelby1 1 3 Flag

Use mouthwash

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I would just use a toothbrush and dish detergent and clean it really well. Do NOT use warm water, it will warp the plastic on your retainer!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Cleaning a Retainer
Cleaning a Retainer
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJune 19, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Cleaning a Retainer
Cleaning a Retainer
wood trash bin
Homemade Trash Bin Crafts
Trash Can Composter
Making a Trash Can Composter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 5:06:06 PM on 10.0.2.206 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings