Kitchen With Very Little Natural Light

My kitchen has very little natural light. We currently have over head fluorescent lighting, but are planning to change to either tracks or possibly spots. My cabinets are medium oak, and the flooring is now a light color linoleum, but will be changed also to probably a neutral tile. My counters are beige tile. What colors would you suggest?

Joellyn from Los Angeles

This is a weird idea, but who knows?

If you have poor light, or if your sink has no window, try this.

Use mirror for the back splash or at least in front of the sink. In the part in front of the sink, put up 2-3 glass shelves with brackets on either side.

The mirror and glass help to reflect and spread the light around. The shelves, like a garden window, will hold plants or herbs in pots.

You know, I already have a very large mirror on the wall directly across from the sink and cabinets just for the reason you mentioned, and it does make a difference. The main problem is I literally have hardly any natural light coming in to the kitchen--it's extremely dark when the lights are out. We currently have over head flourescent light which gives a lot of light but is also very tacky looking, and we are going to change it--probably losing some brightness, so I need suggestions as to paint colors (other than white) that will brighten things up. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceMarch 13, 2007
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires