Rectangle Crochet Sweater

This is a simple pullover sweater that is made from 4 pieces. Actually the front and back are more like squares and the sleeves are rectangles. There is no complicated shaping for shoulders, etc. The pattern is really simple once you get started, and not complicated, but has a nice appearance.

Approximate Time: So sorry, I never remember to keep track of time.

• Any 4 ply yarn will work, but I think a softer yarn will make a more comfortable sweater. This is very important. I wasn't careful about this and was not using a softer yarn, and it worked up a little smaller.
  • crochet hooks, size E and G

Instructions:

This was a contest sweater in McCall's Needlework and Crafts issue of March/April 1981.

Sizes: Directions for Small size (6-8) body bust size 30 1/2 inch to 31 1/2 inch
Changes for medium size (10-12) body bust size 32 1/2 inch to 34 inch
And for large size (14-16) body bust size 36 inch-38 inch

Sweater Back:

Waistband (worked vertically): Beginning at side edge with size E hook, ch 12 (12 - 13)

Row 1: (right side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across-11 (11- 12) sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in back lp of each sc across. Ch 1, turn. Repeat row to until 54 (60, 66 ) rows from start, end wrong side.

Pattern: Row 1: (wrong side): Working along side edge of ribbing, sc in edge of each row - 54 (60,66) sc. Ch 1 turn. Change to size G hook.

Row 2: Sc in first sc* dc in next sc, sc in next sc, repeat from* across, end dc in last sc.

Row 3: * Sc in dc, dc in sc, repeat from * across. Repeat row 3 for pat until piece measures 9inch (10 inch, 10 1/2 inch) above ribbing. Check gauge; piece above ribbing should measure 18inch (20inch, 22inch) wide. Mark each side of last row for underarm. Work even until armholes measure 7 1/2 inch (8 - 8 1/2inch) above under arm markers. End of back.

Front:

Work same as for back.

Sleeves: Cuff: Work same as for back waistband for 30 rows.

Pattern: Row 1: Sc in edge of each row-30 (32-32) sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: (2 sc in first sc, sc in next sc) 14 (16-14) times, 2 sc in each of next 2 (0-4) sc.-46 (48-50) sc. Ch 1, turn. Change to size G hook. Beg with pat row 2 (in sweater back pattern), work in pat until piece measures 17inch (17 1/2-18inch) from start. Check gauge; piece above cuff should measure 15 1/3inch (16 - 16 2/3inch) wide End off.

Finishing:

Block pieces; do not block ribbing. Sew 5 inch (5 1/4 inch-5 1/2 inch) at each upper side edge of back and front together for shoulder seams. With sides of sleeves at underarm markers, sew last row of sleeve to armhole edge. Sew side and sleeve seams.

I made this sweater with variegated yarn, since I had enough of this on hand. But the pattern works very nice in solid colors, also. White is especially nice.

If you use red heart yarn, I would adjust the size to be a little larger for a looser fitting. This can be accomplished by making the next size larger, or using hooks of a little larger size. This shows detail of ribbing plus pattern.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

How much yarn did you use?

This is great and simple enough.

Thanks for sharing.

There is no gauge. Please could you tell us what the gauge is?

Finally got brave enough to try this sweater. Have completed the back section. I started with a 10 oz skein of 4 ply yarn made by Caron (Jumbo Prints) 100% acrylic, worsted weight. I have used approximately 8 oz of the yarn for one large section. As to gauge, check it out for yourself, and adjust it accordingly. I started with a "H" hook for the waistband design and switched to an "I" hook when I started the back section. This make a very pretty design and if I can do it, it must be very simple and to the point. Just use common sense and it will work. Please do not take offense at my words, I usually stick to the very easy projects and I will finish this sweater. You can do it too! Happy Crocheting

Sorry I didn't check back on feedback sooner. This was my contribution, and for some reason the Materials and the gauge didn't show. I know this is important information, so here is an addition to make to your pattern. Materials : calls for Win-Knit 6 4 Oz Twin packs(remember this is a vintage pattern from 1981. Actually any 4 ply yarn will work. Gauge: 3sts=1inch 3 rows = 1 inch (pat. size G hook).

I have just started my second sweater. As I mentioned in the original posting, my first sweater ended up a little small. I believe now that the newer 4 play yarns are a bit smaller than those from years ago. I am making a sweater now in eggshell which is going to be very pretty, but I am having better luck using larger hooks. I have made the same type of adjustments that Applesauce mentioned in her posting here. I am using F and J hooks and going by measurements instead of stitches. I used 72 rows on the waist band, with the F hook, and changed to the J hook for the pattern. This made my back measurement above the waistband 22 inches for the large size sweater.

Sorry I didn't do enough research here. I just thought the sizing problem was my work and, now, it seems as if it might be either the pattern or the difference in yarns over the years. Something I didn't consider. But if you get brave like a couple of the posters, you will be pleased with the results. If you have any other questions or problems, you can email me by clicking on Contact.

Harlean from Arkansas

The photo is a closeup of the pattern on the sweater I am doing now.

I have finally made this sweater and it is awesome! So easy for a beginner and it looks wonderful. Thank you so much for such a great pattern.

Rectangle Crochet Sweater
Making a Rectangle Crochet Sweater
Crafts Crochet SweatersSeptember 15, 2010
Cardigan made from altering a sweater.
Make a Cardigan From a Sweater
Purse from an Old Sweater
Making a Sweater Purse or Bag
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
woman crocheting with purple yarn
Patterns for Making a Crochet Sweater Using Rectangles
🎄