Adding Beef Broth to Spaghetti Sauce

Has anyone ever added a can of beef broth as one of the ingredients when making homemade italian spaghetti sauce? I saw a couple recipes that included beef broth as part of the recipe. I was going to try it, but didn't want to take a chance on maybe ruining the recipe? Thanks for replies!

My Italian MIL taught me to always make my sauce with a big hunk of beef in it, so if you come across a recipe that calls for beef broth, rest assured it is only going to add lots of rich flavor- make sure your sauce starts out nice and thick,though-use tomato paste and lots of sauteed onions, that's her secret.

I've done it with good results. You may want to take a look at Rachel Ray's recipe (I think it's under tomato sauce) on her section in Food TV's website.

The beef stock (make sure you use unsalted or low-sodium if you're not using homemade) gives the sauce a deeper flavor. I'd recommend going lightly on the stock and tasting as you go to make sure you don't overpower the basic tomato taste.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I should think beef broth added to homemade spaghetti sauce would taste great.I regularly add it to homemade chili and it make an incredible difference.

My italian grandmothers recipe calls for a beef boullion cube and her sauce is excellent.

I don't think I would add broth to my spaghetti sauce because it would make it pretty runny. I like thick sauce. My former MIL used to put the drippings from broiling a steak into her sauce. (yummy).I add Au jus to my sauce to give it that beefy flavor. You buy it where the sml. packaged gravy mixes are at the grocery store. For a large pot of sauce I add about 4 or 5 tsps. Give it a try and see what you think. Judy

I always toss in a tablespoon or two of Miller's Beef Flavored Soup Base when I make my sauce, it gives it a great flavor. You can find it in the soup aisle, comes in a one pound plastic jar. You can also use the soup base for making gravy and even as a seasoning when making casseroles, soups etc.

yes i am australian & when my husbands favourite spaghetti sauce was deleted,he could not find anything to his liking.my recipe i have is:

500gm diet mince(lean beef mince)

1 tsp crushed garlic

1 sm diced onion

1tsp dried oregano

1 410gm tin tomato puree(just under 1 pound)

1 cup of water

1/4cup tomato paste

1 tsp beef stock powder

cracked pepper optional

brown mince in saucepan coated with cooking spray,add 1 cup beef broth(or aussie version 1 beef stock cube disolved in 1 cup water),tomato puree,garlic,onion,oregano,tomato paste & pepper.Bring to the boil,reduce heat & simmer for 5minutes,serve with spaghetti.you may need to simmer sauce longer to thicken

I've always added a couple of beef boullion cubes to mine and it gives it a richer flavor I think - I do the same thing with pinto beans -

Definitely add it--the more flavor, the better. If it does make it too thin, just add some more tomato paste to help thicken it up.

I always save leftover beef gravy/juices in a small container in my freezer and add it to the large pots of sauce that I make from scratch. It really enhances the taste.

Yes, beef broth is great with most tomato recipes. Adds a real richness. Try it, you'll like it!

Homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsAugust 4, 2006
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Close up image of red pasta sauce cooking in pan
Fixing Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce
plate of spaghetti and meat sauce
Mazette Sauce Recipes
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
🎉
🎄