Dog Not Eating After Having Puppies

My 4 year old Yorkie just had a litter of 6. All are well. She, on the other hand, will not eat much of anything, but drinks okay. She is nursing well and I am afraid that it is draining her without replenishing. She also is still doing the nesting ritual. She is alert and active. Any suggestions?

By Johnny C from FL

I recommend you give her vet a call, just to be sure. They can refer back to her medical records and give the best advice. I hope mama is feeling better soon!

Thanks. I took her to vet today again and they said that she was fine, took blood all was good. They also gave her some fluids. Suggested we force feed he with a syringe with some prescription food for a few days. She is looking better already.

:-) I'm really glad you took her in, and that she's already improving! Did they say why this might be happening? I've never had a pet who had babies (all of our pets have been fixed), so I don't know if this is normal/to be expected. Again, I'm so glad she's starting to do better!

July 26, 2010 Flag

My toy Yorkie just had pups on Oct 16th, but they both died. Does anyone know how I can help her? She is looking for her pups and is not eating. She will eat some liver sausage, but no chicken, cottage cheese, or dog food. I always made her food using chicken breast, carrots, potatoes and brown rice, with cream of chicken soup to moisten it. She will not touch it.

Any suggestions so that I can help her? I am giving her tons of attention. Could she be depressed? If so what can I do?

By Connie from MI

Answers:

Dog Not Eating After Having Puppies

Alert your vet of the problem. He will probably say not to worry too much. She's going thru postpartum and has no appetite, plus fretting over where her babies are. She's entitled to a few days of not wanting to eat.

Your vet will tell you when it's time to bring her in if need be. Until then, keep offering her things and watch her. But don't worry too much. If she was healthy before giving birth, she should be OK and won't starve herself to death. She just needs time to get over the birth and her loss. Think how you'd feel if you gave birth to still-born twins. Then add in that she doesn't understand why she can't find them, and you can't explain it to her. (10/21/2009)

By Cricketnc

Dog Not Eating After Having Puppies

It also might help if you give her a couple of tiny stuffed toys that she can "mother". I've done that many times when puppies died at birth and it's almost always helped the mother to recover.

But yes, she is very definitely depressed. So you also need to give her lots of extra love too, which I'm sure you already are. (10/21/2009)

By Cricketnc

Dog Not Eating After Having Puppies

Have you checked to make sure she has not gotten an inflamed mammary system? After having the babies, and losing them, she may have just gotten engorged with milk, and sometimes that can cause some problems. See if she is running a fever, and if you can't check, take her to a vet to be sure that she doesn't have underlying problems. Our babies are too dear to take chances. (10/21/2009)

By LJF

Dog With Her Puppies
Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 26, 2010
Dental Work
Eating After Having Dental Work Done
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
🎄