Tips For Caring For Your Parakeet

I have 3 parakeets, and the easiest way to clean their cage is to simply pull the slide out tray to the utility sink and use the sprayer and a putty knife to scrape. First I dump seeds into the trash then spray with hot hot water, then I feel secure in knowing it is sanitized.

Parakeets love music, I discovered this when they tweet like crazy when the Monkees theme song comes on. Also, I play the harmonica for them, they love it, they are in awe as they listen. They do not sing along, but close their eyes and cackle with happiness.

They also love when I plant wheat berry seeds in organic soil. It sprouts and I put it in their cage and they eat and play with it. I had to laugh one day, one of the birds, all you could see was his hind end sticking up with his head in the pot, then he jumped up and was flinging dirt clods out of his cage.

Lastly is a important tip, chlorine is hard on little birds' kidneys, so I fill a plastic jug and let it set uncapped for 24 hours so it goes away. Then I put a few vitamin drops in their water holder and add the water. It is best to do the vitamins freshly, if it were to be added to the jug as it sets it would lose it's potency.

By Linda from Bellevue, N.E

I kept my cage clean by layering newspaper and just pulling out the top sheet everyday. Gary Dominicus

I like the idea of water you provided. Will try that as I too own three parakeets, Jewel, Icy and Lemon. I've also used the sprayer to wash out the cage pan and wet paper towels to wash off the wire. Newspaper is lined, but I never tried several sheets at once. An idea I will try. Thank you both.

The easiest way for me to clean my cage for my babies (parakeets!) Is getting bedding that you use for hamsters etc. and then dump it out every few days. Its very easy.

Where do we get the wheat berry seeds??

I also use the layered newspaper and have found when it is about 80 or above outside I take cage and all outside ...put spray nozzle on waterhose on shower and wash the cage down...my parakeets love playing in the water...I put it on mist some and they go in and out of water then I place in a warm safe sunny spot for cage to dry and listen to my parakeets sing happily!

I have a problem. I have a Parakeet and its top beak, bill, whatever you call it. It's curling under its lower one. How do i clip it or do I have to take it to the Vet? Please help as its getting longer and I am 67 yrs old so its hard on me to do it.

My keets also loved people food. Try mixing cooked rice with corn and pea, and for breakfast, a scrambled egg. yummmmm! Also put a slice of apple between the bars and watch them pick away at it. Broccoli is great too.

I have a cage with 6 sides for my finches, so trying to line it is quite hard, until I realized wall lining paper was an easy option, which is not very much to buy. I cut the full roll into three sides to fit, two pieces are laid at the bottom of the cage and turn over each day, then throw away and start again, we cut so much of the end (this roll I use for my parakeets cage). I have Quail which are housed at the bottom of the finches cage and they can walk around too.

Caring for Parakeets
Caring for Parakeets
Pets BirdsMay 21, 2008
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Bathing a Parakeet
Bathing a Parakeet
Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
🎉
🎄