Color Bleeding When Washing a Quilt for the First Time

I made a quilt from squares of blue flannel (with white dogs in the pattern) and white flannel. I washed it and dried it first. When I was done sewing it I washed it again and the blue ran in to the white squares. How can I get the white squares white again without changing the blue squares?

Brenda

Thank you so much for saving me today. I was soaking a stain on a quilt that my friend made me, and was shocked to see the blue squares bleeding all over the white ones. I rushed to the internet and found your advice for the Shout color catchers, then rushed to the store and back to the laundry room. Two of the sheets made the dark blue disappear completely!

I washed my ex-mother-in- laws handmade quilt & it bleed onto the white now I am so sick.It goes to my 33 yr old daughter.