BirdsPets

Safe Air Fresheners for Cockatiels

I have always heard that febreeze shouldn't be used in a home with birds that it could kill them. I have a cockatiel. We also have dogs and I wanted to find out if anyone knows whether or not there are any fresheners that are safe. Also, are the plug in air fresheners safe?

Shannon from Middleburg, FL

By and large, most commercial air fresheners likely have toxic chemicals in them and although they mask odors, can cause more harm than good. I would suggest making my own natural air freshener with water and a few drops of essential oil (not fragrance oil)or purchasing a natural, non-toxic freshener. A little internet searching for a recipe or a safe product should yield results.

Make simmering potpourri with apple and citrus peels and spices like stick cinnamon, cloves, etc.... You can use a regular pot and do this on the stovetop or buy a simmering potpourri pot(looks like a little crock pot).

Be sure to check out the "Related Links" that Thriftyfun lists just above and to the right of our feedback.

I sell the wick less flame less candle from scentsy! It is recommended safe for all children and pets! I of coarse have one myself(They are Amazing by the way) It sits on the cabinet right next to my parakeet! I know that's a cockatiel your referring to but It would be safe for him/her also! If you would like more information on the product you can check out my website www.scentsy.com/22784 just type that into your web browser and it will take you right there! You can veiw the catalog also there! I hope this helps!

Good luck, Angie Madison, South Dakota