Mayonnaise To Clean Plant Leaves

Apply mayonnaise to your plants to clean them and make them shine beautifully.

By Tammy from Economy, IN

Editor's Note: This may work fine on waxy leaves like a philodendron but it could harm softer leaved plants. There is vinegar in mayonnaise which can change the pH of the plant. Has anyone tried this?

I wouldn't use mayo again unless I was 100% sure of what it would do to a plant. I had a huge, beautiful Corn Plant ( I think it was in the dracaena family) and I used mayo on it. The plant was dead in about 2 weeks after only ONE application!

Mayonaise (or anything similar such as salad oil or banana peel) is NOT a good thing to use to clean house plant leaves. It leaves a gummy residue that collects even more dust. Water is the best thing to use. Mother Nature uses this for all her plants, surely she knows best after thousands of years.

Dampen a soft cloth (piece of old T-shirt works great), support leaf with one hand and wipe off dust with the damp cloth.

Never use mayonnaise, milk, or any other food product to clean plant leaves. The leaves may appear shiny at first, but think: what happens to these materials when they sit around for a few days? They ROT. They do the same on plant leaves. Plus they gum up the leaf pores, attract bugs and disease, and provide a nice sticky surface for dust to cling to, thus cutting down the amount of light the leaves get.

I put mayo on my plants and almost all the leaves turned brown! So no mayo on the plants!

Cleaning Ficus leaves
Cleaning Houseplants
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsAugust 14, 2007
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Sandwich with mayonnaise alternative.
Alternatives to Mayonnaise
A girl watering a house plant.
Caring for Houseplants
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes