Top Load Washer Smells Moldy

I have a top loader washing machine that I purchased that is a terrible design. It is almost new, but it has this horrible smell of mold. I have tried everything I know to get rid of it. I was hoping someone could help me. I have tried bleach and baking soda. Neither worked and my clothes smell awful. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

If I didn't think it would be inappropriate I would indicate what brand of washer and dryer and encourage people not to purchase this set. The dryer has a terrible lint screen that is so hard to get the total lint out of it so I have problems with it also. Thanks everyone.

By MLS

I got a new top loading HE washer machine in November. It came with a sample of Affresh. It's a big tablet that you put into the empty machine, and you run the washer on a particular setting (mine has a special setting for the cleaner, but the instructions say what setting to use if you don't have the special one). It is supposed to stop odor in washer machines. The packaging recommends using it once a month. I haven't used it that often, but I haven't noticed any odor, either. I just make sure I empty the washer quickly after the load is finished. I did read somewhere that using too much detergent or any fabric softener in an HE machine will make odors worse. I never use fabric softener (I use vinegar, instead). I don't know if the Affresh would help in your situation, but it might be worth a shot.

I'd put it through a Rinse cycle with about 1 quart of vinegar; that should clear any smell and odor (vinegar is antiseptic and antibiotic, as well as ridding any built up soap)

I too have a new Samsung Washer & Dryer, the Dryer's lint filter-screen is the worst I've seen, the owner's manual 'recommends' to remove the duct and blow it out regularly? When I clean the filter-screen before each drying, there's almost as much lint that bypassed the filter as on the filter-screen. My recommendation: buy the Maintenance Contract because the new models are CR*P!

We had a washer with a filter hidden under the softener dispenser in the agitator. it started to make our clothes smell terrible. When I searched for the source I found the filter caked full. I cleaned it out and kept it clean and we didn't have the problem again. Maybe yours has the same feature, you got to the filter by pulling hard on the dispenser.

Be sure to leave the lid open on your washer so that it dries out inside. Don't close the lid right after doing laundry--all that moisture won't evaporate and mold can grow.

You should put in the brand as that will help people respond to your problem. If you put in the name and then said something bad about them, that would be a different story. As far as odor if there is a rubber seal around the door check and see if there are folds that are collecting gunk or mold. I took an old washcloth and wiped mine out as it got slimey and stinky, also the place I bought mine out told me to put in dishwasher powdered soap and (something else I can't remember right now) and run in through a wash cycle. That helped control the smell but I found out wiping the seal and leaving the door open after until it dries works much better.

Also local water can make a smell worse, our "city" water doesn't cause as much as the well water people report, lots of sulfur here. As far as the dryer I disassemble the slot it goes into to get all the extra lint out once a month. I was shocked how much collected over 3 years, never again as that can cause a dryer fire! Good luck and if I find out what the other product was for the cleaning I'll post it. Linda in PA.

My previous post about washer smelling was about a front loader. I misread the question and overlooked top loader. Oops, but I would still contact the manufacturer or local store that handles the brand and ask them. Our local store is very helpful and they help people that didn't even buy things there, hoping you'll remember them when the time comes. Good luck as the dryer info is good for everyone! Sorry.

My mom used to run a cycle in the washing machine with just vinegar. She said it cleaned everything out. For the dryer lint, I use an old toothbrush to grab any lint I can't reach. Works great!

If it's fairly new, I would call the company and tell them your problem. Perhaps they can recommend a solution. Also, I don't think it's wrong to post names of products that you're having a problem with. It will help others know to do extra research before buying that particular brand/model.

I run an empty load with bleach or vinegar and that takes away the bad smell. For the lint trap, we clean ours out after ever single load and once a month, I hand wash the screen with Dawn to remove the oil buildup from the fabric softener. I hope that helps you.

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJune 24, 2011
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎄