Getting Rid of Skunk Smell on Dog and In House

What else beside the baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap can I use to get rid of skunk smell on my dog and the house? I have also used tomato juice/sauce and diluted vinegar. Thank you.

By A

Best Answer

Apparently toothpaste works on people, but you would have to make sure to wash it all off, so they don't eat it.

Best Answer

Bulk douche powder by the handful in gallon jug of water. Treat area, dog or car. I wouldn't put it in the dog's eyes, of course.

Best Answer

The only safe and effective product I have found for skunk spray on my dog and house is Odorxit concentrate available on the web.

Anonymous

does it really work? my dog got it right in the face and I saw that Odorxit says it's safe to put on their face and mouth.

I've never had any experience with a skunk but if I did, after a bath in tomato juice, I would strip the coat and then bathe it again. The coat will grow back and it will be a lot easier to deal with compared to the smell you're now living with.

Have you tried lighting candles? Several years ago I burnt something in the kitchen and it really stunk bad, so I lite a bunch of candles and it absorbed the smell. Has the dog been on the furniture, if so that is a whole new problem. We have three large dogs and all our furniture is covered with blankets I pick up at yard sales and Thrift Stores. I just wash them as needed and throw them out when they eventually wear out.

Don't forget the clothes you were wearing when you washed your dog.

I hope this is of some help.

Good Luck,

Sincerely,

- CaoleeRose

1qt. peroxide

1 cup baking soda

couple table spoons dawn dish detergent

I use this regularly on our black lab. It the only thing that works for us. I got this recipe from our vet. Good luck!

I hate to tell you, but I found nothing would help get rid of the smell. We purchased a special enzyme cleaner, sprayed all the carpets and steam cleaned them, even tried Simple Green and Febreze. Nothing worked but time. The smell seems to get into every pore of the house. It took months before it was all gone. A horrible experience.