Cornmeal Mush

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 2 tsp. salt

Mix cornmeal with cold water and slowly add to boiling water, to which salt is added; stir constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened. Cover and continue cooking over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with butter, syrup, gravy or in bowl with milk.

Fried mush: Put warm cornmeal mush into loaf pan and chill overnight. Slice into 1/2 inch slices. Melt a little butter in skillet and brown mush slices until crisp on each side. Serve on hot plate with syrup.

Scrapple: To hot cornmeal mush add 1/2-1 lb. bulk sausage, browned and well drained. Add 1/4 teaspoon sage, if desired. Pour into loaf pan and follow directions for fried mush.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Oh my goodness thank you! My mother used to make this and I loved it. I have not had it since I was a kid and she could not remember the recipe. I know what I am having real soon.

My mom use to make that too and I loved it as a kid. I don't know if I would still like it but I intend to try it and see! I never got the recipe from her and nobody else knows how to make it! Thanks! Its a good one to have!

Food and Recipes Recipes Side DishesOctober 3, 2008
Hot Cornmeal Cereal Recipes
Maize Meal or Corn Meal
Maize and Mince Balls Recipes
Barbecued shrimp on a bed of polenta.
Polenta Recipes
rectangles of fried mush with garnish
Fried Cornmeal Mush Recipes