Making Solution Used in Braun Shaver Cleaning System

Does anyone have a formula for the cleaning solution used in the Braun Electric Shaver Self Cleaning System?

Anna from Canada

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Have you contacted Braun? They may be able to assist.

http://www.braun.com/na/contact/servicepartners/americas.html

Use denatured alcohol (methylated spirits here in Australia), half a teaspoon of light machine oil, and about 10 drops of lemon oil (not lemon juice). You could use cooking quality lemon essence or Lemon essential oil.

Don't fill too much otherwise the cartridge will show as empty. If this is the case, keep tipping out small amounts until it will work.

I have found that what really happens is the solution evaporates. Keep the top that you pull off the cartridge and after each cleaning, open the base using the release in the back. Let it sit for 30 seconds to let the fluid drip back down into the cartridge. Then pull out the cartridge and snap the plug back into the holes. I clean every week and one cartridge lasts about 5 months.

If you contact Braun, I'm certain that they will give you 1001 reasons why you should buy their replacement cartridges rather than trying to make your own liquid. They'll probably also try to tell you that using another solution will void the warranty and bring 100 years of pestilence to your land. It's like inkjet printers. You buy one, and when the time comes to replace the ink cartridges, it ends up being cheaper to buy a new printer, which is a terrible waste and environmentally unacceptable. Same goes for replacement razor blocks and cutters. These things should sell for $20-25 instead of the usual $40-50, but once you've spent $200+ on a shaver, you are stuck. As for the ingredients, I will try the solution posted above, they sound pretty good to me.

I too was fed up with buying new cartridges when only the fluid was used or contaminated, so I devised a refill that has worked just fine for 5 or 6 years. First, I shake out the remaining fluid with whiskers and perhaps skin oils in it. I guess the "used up" light comes on from measuring the conductivity (ie contaminants in the solution), so shaking out the old stuff gets rid of most. Then I add ethanol (any alcohol, like isopropyl would probably do, but I get a lot of "used" ethanol from the lab whose purity nis questionable). Then I add about a teaspoon of baby oil (for lubrication) and I'm done. I think I have the same 5 year old cartridge and it still works just fine!

Alcohol really isn't required. Some other brands of auto-cleaning electric shavers use water based solutions. It just seems that the solution should contain a cleanser and something for lubrication. I've been using a much less expensive alternative called Shaver Shebang with great results.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Make Your Own CleaningMarch 18, 2008
Norelco Razor
Homemade Norelco Razor Cleaning Solution
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:51:47 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 908 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.