Homemade Space Bags

Please, can someone give me some advice? I tried using black bin bags and the vacuum cleaner to suck the air out instead of the more expensive space bags, so far, so good. They worked great for storing clothes in the closet "except" that I don't know what to tie them off with so the air doesn't escape from them. Any suggestions please, for what I can use to securely tie them off so they don't grow big again? Thanks so much.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

One technique is to tie a knot in the bag itself. I have tried using those little ties and they don't work for long. You will not be able to fill the bag as full, and you will have to be very fast. Honestly, what I do is lie or sit on the bag until I can get it tied. Good luck.

I twist the plastic bag top and fold it over to keep the air out while I wind heavy elastic bands onto the twisted/folded piece.

There was a tip here not long ago that would work really well for this task! I can't find the tip now but what you do is cut the top off of a used water or soda bottle just below the neck of the bottle under the little 'ring' (the little ring that ends up being there after taking the cap off the bottle). Pull the open end of the plastic bag through the center of the bottle neck (without the bottle cap on), fold the open plastic bag end down and around over the neck and put the cap on. Sorry if I am not explaining this well, Cett, but I think you'll understand what I mean.

Deeli, I know exactly what you mean and its a great idea! So much easier later on when I want to open the bag. Thanks so much for a brilliant suggestion.

Thanks, Cett :-) I think what made it come to mind is because it truly is similar to the idea of how those space bags are closed anyway. I can't help but wonder if placing them on before vacuuming out the air would work too?

Deeli, your idea of attaching the bottle top (you know what I mean) first, then vacuuming out the air is a wonderful idea! saves time and you don't let extra air inside the bag. It only takes one second to screw the bottle cap back on. Thank you so much for your "genius" suggestion!

Cett, you're such a doll for letting me know it works for the air vacuuming too! Yay, Yay, Yay! :-)

No prob Deeli. Was the least I could do after such a great suggestion. You have to cup your hand around the "bottle" opening and the vacuum nozzle so that the vacuum can work properly, but that's a small price to pay.

Homemade Space Bags
Homemade Space Bags
Organizing AdviceApril 12, 2011
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎉
🎄