Ideas for a Combined Birthday Party

My son is turning 4 on Nov. 29th and my daughter is turning 1 on Dec. 3rd.. I need to have a double birthday party but I have no idea how to do this or with what characters. How do I word the invitation? I know 1st parties are special. My son's was and I want to do the same for her but I have to have it together, they are only days apart. Please help me.

By madison2 from New Bedford

Who says you have to build a party around characters? You can use any theme you like, or no theme at all. Choose party hats, table covers, balloons and decorations in any color or pattern you like. It's a real money-saver when the cups, plates, etc. don't have to match or have popular cartoon images.

Rather than one large shared cake, give each child a cake of their own.

A great party invitation would feature a photo of both kids on the front. She should hold a sign that says, "My brother (or his name) is 4!" and his sign should read, "My sister is one!" Then on the inside, "Get ready for double birthday FUN!" If that's too much work, make simple invitation cards that say, NAME is 4, NAME is 1...

When you look at all the photos after the party, you will see that your children outshine anything you can buy! Let your imagination run wild, and have fun!

I don't mean to sound mean but if possible give them at different times if not days. He is going to be 4 and that is special as it is and he can do more than the other child. You don't want him to start thinking he can't have anything because of her. You can make his bigger and early in the day and then later have a small party for the sister. I just don't think birthdays should be shared unless they are twins because it is their day!