Quick Lunch Ideas

We live close to the High school in our town. Since some of my daughter's friends have the same lunch period, they want to come to our house and have lunch. I work, so am not at home. I need ideas for "quick" lunches for them.

Kathyg from Oskaloosa, IA

I would get some cold cuts, chips & dip.

This would pro ably be the fastest and less clean up.

Make a big pot of vegetable soup over the weekend. Freeze it in pint containers and then leave it out in the morning. They can warm it up in the microwave. Make chicken salad, tuna or egg salad, slice some tomatoes ,keep in fridge and they can make their own sandwiches to go with it for a healthy and yummy lunch.

I'd go for ANYTHING premade, such as homemade:

frozen t.v. dinners, pot pies, big fruit bowl, salads if all girls, plenty of crackers, sale entrees, Pizza, or

frozen beef patties pre-cooked and buns/chips.

Word to the wise: Ground rules would be a good thing to set up early, such as:

1) Watch the clock, locks, pets

2) No guys or partying

3) Clean up your messes

4) Whatever you make, you must eat, not waste

5) Limit number of persons that can come

6) Each one is responsible for following house rules

7) Don't clean out the house of all food/drinks, save

some for the others

8) a Note that says,"Sharing in the cost by tossing a couple of dollars in the small basket/wide neck jar would be appreciated."

9) If raining, wipe feet, leave umbrella at door.

If you have no guidelines/boundaries, you might be deeply hurt and setting yourself up for great liability.

I remember being one of those friends that didn't

take advantage of parents yrs ago, but this is NOW.

You might consider limiting it to once or twice a week, not just "anytime", and you really should KNOW who's coming "just in case". Someone MIGHT take advantage of your teen, you or your home, especially if they are new acquaintances and not really yet "friends".

KathyG

If you have a fridge and microwave you have it made. Need I say more?

I absolutely agree with all of Lynda's remarks and suggestions! You are really setting yourself up for some surprises and disappointments, and very possibly, legal liability. I have worked with a lot of teenagers in my lifetime and I don't think I've ever met one who is totally trustworthy. Their INTENTIONS are good but they really don't have the mental toughness at this age to hold out against that thing we all hear and talk about...."peer pressure"! Teenagers are probably my favorite age group of people. I'm not being critcal of them or picking on them. It's just not a good idea to give them that much unsupervised time and space in your home. Something can and will happen that will be regrettable! You may not find out about it for years but eventually a story will come out and you will wish you had been less gullible and easygoing! This is just some advise from an oldtimer with lots of experience and some regrets! Best of luck to you and your family.

Unless these teenage girls are real good friends of your daughter's and you know them yourself, I wouldn't allow it....and certainly you shouldn't have to provide someone else's kids with a free lunch....let their moms pack them a lunch that they bring with them and eat at your house....but seems to me since you will be away, they all should just eat at school. I know it makes me sound like a scrouge and not very trusting but I've heard too many stories. You might trust your own daughter to come home and eat lunch but I don't think she needs to bring classmates with her....just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Not a good idea to let teenagers in your house while

you are out. The minute something goes wrong

other parents will blame YOU for allowing it. Your daughter may not like it but insist they stay at

school during lunch. If something should happen to

other kids or yours you will have only yourself to

blame as you allowed it.

Sounds mean but remember doctors state a teenagers brain is not fully developed, add peer pressure etc...

BETTER SAFE FROM SORRY!!!

Wraps, have tortillas, lunch meats, veggies, dressings, leftover meats like chicken or steak etc. They could make their own and its not expensive. Also to all the VERY well meaning advice givers on not allowing this to happen, this is not the question that was asked. I have a teenager and trust him till he proves I cant, which he hasnt done. I am not saying that is always the way, but I think if we give our children the same respect we expect for ourselves they will surprise you. As for the bad apples well there are some in ever bunch and you shouldnt punish the good for the bad. Just my 2cents and not trying to be difficult.

I don't have any new ideas, although I do agree with all the food ideas already stated. I also think that micksgirl has raised a great point, as a young adult, I can say that teenagers aren't so untrustworthy as you all seem to think they are. I personally went over to my best friends house every day during junior high and high school... granted I did pack my own lunch, but some days I ditched it and joined in on her moms yummy left overs. We were average teenagers too, and nothing ever went rotten, we even eventually had the responablility of getting her younger sisters a heathly dinner when her working mom wasn't there (and I tell you it wasn't easy as they are both very picky eaters) But I think that the taste of responsablity that it gave us was enough to teach us that our parents do trust us, even with the stove on... and all.

I believe that people who don't trust their teenagers create untrustworthy teenagers. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Children don't cross a magical "responsibility" line at 18, they need to be taught all along. That means having the chance to mess up along the way.

I liked the comment "I have a teenager and trust him till he proves I can't, which he hasn't done. I am not saying that is always the way, but I think if we give our children the same respect we expect for ourselves they will surprise you." I have met many teenagers who are totally trustworthy and responsible.

I was preparing dinner for my little brothers BEFORE I was a teenager. We are all in our thirties now. We had little trouble in our teenage years, I believe, because our mother respected and trusted us to make our own decisions.

School is about out for the year now. Kathyg, how did the lunches work out? Anyone else have practical experience with this situation instead of "advice"?

Jess

This lady didn't ask for parenting advice. Only advice on quick lunches, so thanks anyway ladies. I also am curious about good quick lunches that don't require a microwave. That makes them disgusting. Any ideas on quick lunches? I have an oven at my disposal and a mini fridge. I just need some things I can make and eat within a half hour. some good ideas but i'm looking for some things a little more hearty than cold cuts and chips with dip.

A lot depends on their tastes -but the following always work nice for me:

Soups - can freeze and reheat small portions

Casseroles - variety is endless.

Pot of chili

"salad bar" - they can make their own.

Tuna/egg salad

Sausage rolls (tuck sausage/bacon& cheese into pizza dough balls and fold over to form a roll - bake at about 400 for 12 min or so - serve cold or warm in an oven)

Hope this helps.

I strongly agree that this question was about lunches and not child welfare. Here in OH you are allowed to be left home alone at the tender age of 12. Trust your kids and they will trust you. If we are always thinking them to be untrustworthy then eventually they will be.

I would buy deli meats and bread and some chips to keep around for the "pop up" lunchers. Make some kool-aid the night before. xoxo

Okay this is not meant to be a book on parenting! All this woman asked for was an answer to her question about quick lunches. My suggestion would be to keep things in the house that the kids like. If there favorite food is say, fried chicken but they don't like the taste of it when it's re-heated just fry some boneless chicken breasts and have plenty of salad stuff around so they could make a chicken salad. Ask them what they want for lunch. After all, they have to eat it!

When I was a teen I would bring my friends home and make pizza bagels under the broiler.

All you need are bagels- cheap frozen ones work fine, toast them to defrost and crisp up. Add sauce (I used jarred spaghetti sauce), mozzarella cheese and any toppings. Place on a cookie sheet covered w/ foil for easy clean-up and broil for a few minutes in a toaster oven or regular oven.

Side note: My friends were very respectful of my house because they would not have been invited if they acted otherwise.

Sprinkle shredded cheese on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, and cook on an ungreased griddle until the cheese is melted and it's lightly toasted on each side. Let cool, then cut into wedges like a pizza. Pack some salsa or sour cream for dipping.

Contrary to popular myth, cold pizza is not disgusting. Wrap a slice or two in plastic for lunch. Or make a bagel pizza. Cut a bagel in half, spread with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheese and pepperoni. Bake until the cheese is melted, then let cool completely and wrap in plastic.

And to all you parents giving advice on the situation, I feel sorry for your kids, you have to let them live a little. Not every guy is looking to violate your kid, or trash the house, they have to have some fun sometimes!

I think Lynda had the best intentions in the world when she said that. I can't help but ask:

1) Do you realize the extra amount of money that you could save? you're paying for extra x many number of hungry teenagers 5 days a week!

2) By having something ready made for them, you're making them come back for more!

I think if they are good girls, they would bring their own food! don't be too naive just because you want to be a cool mom and your daughter to be popular.

Some bread and lunch meat is perfect. Lunch periods are short in high school. It's not like we have time to go destroy a house. All we want to do is eat. What me and my friends do is change up whose houses we go to, so its fair to everyone's parents. Hot pockets are also good.

From a teenagers perspective.... we just want food! Were not looking for alcoholic drinks, were just hungry, and want to get out of school. sure everyday seems like a lot of time and money, switch off houses and tell them to go to a restaurant and fast food. I would consider myself responsible and about 95% of my friends are. I may not be a mother but I know that I was grown up to have earned responsibility, and I have never done anything to break that trust. For other mothers (and i have seen this happen countless times) denying your children trust and responsibility, leads them to act out and hide behind their parents backs and have to prove to their friends things. Just a teenagers perspective :)

We grill chicken breast on weekends cut into strips and freeze for the week in individual packs. great for reheating. Our girls tend to want fresh veggies, salad item, and fruit. Our boys want hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken they can throw on the George Forman grill really quick takes maybe 6 minutes. Lots of Tea and Lemonaid (we dont do soda). As far as everyone commenting on kid issues, get to know your kids friends and thier parents. Can't believe how many people don't. We invited all our kids friends and their parents over for a BBQ it has helped alot and all kids that come over for lunch, their parents know they do, big plus the kids agree to clean up or lose the right to hang out at lunch.

A child eating a brown bag lunch.
Quick and Easy School Lunchbox Ideas
Parenting School LunchesAugust 19, 2006
A girl eating packed lunch at school.
School Lunch Ideas
Fabric Lunch Bag
Making Fabric Lunch Bags
Gott Lunch Box
Finding Replacement Bottles for a Gott Lunch Box
Woman Having Salad for Lunch
Packing Salad for Lunch
🎉
🎄