Painting Metal Cabinets

I have kitchen cabinets made by St. Charles from the late 60's. These cabinets are metal painted with a rough finish. The finish is similar to what Orange Peal on walls would look like. I would like to paint them and want to know if anyone has any information for me or hints on how to do this task. Thanks.

I would sand all of the gloss off of the cabinets and then spray them with a Rustoleum primer - followed by 2 or 3 coats of Rustoleum spray paint. Be sure to follow the directions on the can. Rustoleum makes so many colors and finishes, you should not have a problem finding the color you want.

You might try appliance paint. We used it to clean up our frig before we put our house on the market. It made the frig look brand new. I got it at Home Depot. Good Luck

I would check at a paint store about what to use to sand them with, as you'll need to knock off the texture. Then you'll need a good metal primer. This goes into general cabinet painting, but might help with the various steps.

October 6, 2009 Flag

I am wondering if anyone has painted metal cupboards. I have two that need to be painted or replaced. I thought if it isn't too major of a project, I might try it. Help.

Chris from Oshkosh, WI

Painting Metal Cabinets

Do not use water based paints. (11/02/2008)

By Lou

Painting Metal Cabinets

Rustoleum has a wonderful product. It's in a spray can, and a paint can. Use the paint/can and roll it on, then brush it out. They have wonderful hammered metal looks. I love the brown hammered metal paint. I've use it to repaint all of my dated brass lights and bathroom accessories.

It's oil based, no need to prime. You will need to do 2 - 3 coats. Read the directions. The second coat needs to be done within 4 hours or you need to wait 7 days (I know, weird, but it's a chemical process I guess.) It's cheap too. Like $12/can. Lowe's has this paint. Home Depot doesn't seem to carry the hammered metal in a paint can, just the spray can. Good luck.

By Sheryl

Painting Metal Cabinets

I am painting metal kitchen cupboards. They are Retro from the 50s and was told to use a primer. I am using a speed primer, on the inside of the cupboards, a white semi-gloss. On the outside a Cranberry. I found out I had to use at least 2 to 3 coats of primer to cover the green colour. Good luck on your project. (11/12/2008)

By Dale

November 1, 2008 Flag

How do you paint metal kitchen cabinets?

Michele from Kingsport, TN

Painting Metal Cabinets

There is spray paint just for metal - or you could even take them down, sand them well & take them to an auto paint place for them to paint them! (Also works for appliances, I am told.) (12/05/2006)

By pamphyila

Painting Metal Cabinets

It is best to remove the cabinets and paint them elsewhere otherwise you will have paint mist all through the house. If you are going to be doing this your self:

1.Remove the hardware.

2.Wash the cabinets with a detergent soap to clean off all the grease and stains that have accumulated over time.

3.Scuff the surface with a fine sandpaper.

4.Determine what type of paint to use,flat or glossy,oil or water base.

5.Spray the cabinets and let dry.

Or get a bid from a body shop who will spray them for you. They will look better if the body shop does it.

By Dean

Painting Metal Cabinets

When I worked as a Resident Manager for a home, I observed the maintenance man lightly sand a metal oven, mask off the chrome parts, then use an epoxy
"appliance spray paint" and it looked absolutely lovely, nearly professional.

The trick is to lightly coat it once, then lightly coat it a second time, rather than to try to cover it all the first coat! AND be sure to cover all other items in the kitchen and floor with clear plastic drop cloths to prevent over spray/drift. With ANY paint, USE PLENTY OF VENTILATION and turn off the pilot lights to anything gas, such as hot water heater/gas dryer/gas central heat/gas heaters, etc. until well dried.

If you can take them down, move them out, paint them inside a garage, instead, even though a paint/body shop would do well, it will COST, believe me. I'd try it myself first, and make certain you've cleaned and roughed up the finish, then wiped all dust off. Use
fine steel wool or fine wet sand paper.

BUT make certain it's VERY DRY before painting. THEN, if you make any mess or are unhappy with the color, take them to a paint/body shop. They do their own THING, regardless, and charge for it. If the cabinets are RETRO, made in the 50's, with rounded edges, consider a fresh WHITE enamel. But, you can use most any color ranging from deep blue, black, red, yellow, or even dark green, or brown.

I'd avoid POP colors like aqua, lime, gold, light blue or bright orange. Remember to sand and prime any rusty spots, feathering out to the edges.

If the cabinets were porcelain enamel to begin with, they might be glass coated, and you might have a REAL rough time trying to sand them, If baked on, it might be a toss-up as to whether or not ANY paint would stick permanently. Epoxy is the best bet and longest lasting, I understand, but is permanent and cannot be easily adjusted or painted over later. Be careful and I suggest conservative.

Good Luck and God bless you. : )

By Lynda

Bright orange painted metal cabinets.
Painting Metal Cabinets
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingOctober 6, 2009
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets