Selecting Wood for a Staircase

I'm trying to pick out the right wood for a staircase. I have already stained the floor, southern yellow pine, to a dark coffee color. The problem I'm having is identifying the species of wood that would be the best match for the hand rail and newel posts. I can only pick from maple, oak, and popular.

By Ron from Geneseo, IL

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I suggest to get the one close to the color of the floor. Good luck.

I'd select the hardest wood - because in a few years you'll be more concerned about durability than color.

Oak will have too strong a grain pattern. Pick the one that matches the texture of your pine, you can customize stain easily.

beautiful wood stairs
Selecting The Right Wood for Stairs
Home and Garden Home Improvement WoodworkingAugust 9, 2009
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Chopping Wood, Axe in Wood Log
Chopping Wood
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 12:35:16 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.