What Can I Use on Laminate Floors That Won't Streak?

By Susan 4 2

How do you clean light colored Pergo floors? I have tried mopping with vinegar and with ammonia and even with Pergo cleaner, but there are streaks that show up after a day or so. I've tried the steam mop, but it still streaks. Help!

By Susan from Tampa, FL

Filter Sort

By Jill 4 738 Flag

The trick is to dry them after you mop. You can buy a wide, rectangular "mop" (intended as a dry mop), with microfiber covers that are washable and reusable. I would try running it over the floor after you mop, and see if that helps, You could probably also make covers from old towels for a swiffer dry mop. Wouldn't be as wide, so more swipes would be needed, but if you have the swiffer, would be free!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joanne 33 Flag

It's very likely the mop you're using. Try using a good absorbent sponge mop, it won't leave streaks of water on the floor. Jilson's idea is also good, will accomplish the same thing, removing the water that's left behind.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beatrice Klaus 1 Flag

I had a hardwood floor refinisher tell me that he used a Hoover Floor Mate. It vacuums washes and dries without leaving any residue at all. when you empty the water you will see how much dirt any other method leaves on the floor and believe me I've tried them all, no more streaking on my ceramic tiles or my hardwood. I sometimes use a mild solution of vinegar/water The dirty water is vacuumed up into the reserve tank and doesn't just get pushed around. I hope this helps Beatrice New Jersey

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 5 105 Flag

I use Armstrong floor cleaner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol Spirak 2 Flag

You need to wipe the surface dry with a clean soft cloth. I use microfiber clothes on mine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: What Can I Use on Laminate Floors That Won't Streak?

I have dark laminate floors. What can I use on them that won't make them look dull and streaky?

By Katie from MO

Feedback:

RE: What Can I Use on Laminate Floors That Won't Streak?

Hardwood floor cleaner by BonaKemi my husband is retired hardwood floor installer and he says this is good. He says laminate is tricky and best to not use just anything. (05/02/2010)

By yarnqueen

Find out what your flooring company recommends. My laminate flooring package said to use Windex. It works beautifully. (05/03/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

My laminate flooring instructions said to use plain, warm water and if the floor is really dirty, put one cup of vinegar into a gallon of water. I also have old towels and I wash a section of the floor then lay the towel down and step on it and slide across the floor to dry the floor, rumba, and a clean floor in one! Ha! Ha! good thing the neighbors can't see. I think drying the floor makes it streak free. (05/04/2010)

By Deborah570

I have Pergo floors that are a very light shade of wood color. I have tried mopping them with a damp mop and with ammonia and with vinegar and even with the Pergo cleaner. I have tried the new steam mop as well. They look fine immediately after mopping with whatever I use, but then I can see streaks a day or so later. What can I use to clean the floors to get rid of the streaks?

By Susan from Tampa, FL

Feedback:

Using too much liquid can ruin laminate floors. That is also what causes streaks and spots. You can use a Wonder mop and plain water. Use their wringer, then wring it out more by hand until it is almost dry. Mop with the grain of the wood. I dust mop often, but mop as rarely as I can get by with. If I see a spot on the floor, I use a damp paper towel to wipe the spot, then dry it with a dry paper towel. (10/19/2010)

By Anonymous

You should never use anything on a laminate floor except an approved laminate cleaner. Try Bona X laminate floor cleaner. Keep the floor as dry as possible, never use vinegar and water! Laminate is nothing, but pressed wood with a veneer on top. If water soaks down between it, the wood will swell and you will have "humps" in your floor. If an approved cleaner does not do the trick, call your local flooring store and ask them to contact Technical Support for that brand of laminate. Sadly, the damage may be done. Good luck! (10/20/2010)

By vickster

By the way, the ammonia is probably what caused your streaking damage. :( (10/20/2010)

By vickster

I was told just today by an Empire installer that you can purchase laminate floor cleaner at Lowe's and Home Depot. A lady on the phone from Empire told me to get either Bruce or Armstrong laminate cleaner. The installer said to never use a steam cleaner, and when using a mop be sure it's no more than the wetness of a wash cloth you would hand wring.
I had a scratch on my floor and the guy from Empire said that most scratches occur from sharp small rocks embedded in the bottom of shoes. (10/25/2010)

By GrannyGoff

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsFebruary 5, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
cleaning a laminate floor
Getting Rid of Footprints on Laminate Floor
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:39:41 PM on 10.0.2.81 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings