Other Uses for Laundry Detergent

I just bought a new front-loading wash machine and I have to use special low suds detergent in it. So, I am left with a very large box of regular Tide detergent. Any ideas on how I can use the Tide in other cleaning tasks?

Marcie from Prairie du Sac, WI

Some people use Tide in carpet steam cleaning machines such as Rug Doctor that you can rent at Wal-Mart or other stores.

Dilute with water and use it in a spray bottle as a spot treater before washing laundry. I've been doing this for years.

I have used laundry detergent to absorb motor oil from leaks fom cars or changing the oil in cars or lawnmowers. It cleans as well as absorbs.

If your bathroom sinks, toilets, showers aren't extremely dirty and don't need real heavy duty cleaning, you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle and use that to clean up with. And, it makes the bathroom smell good too. Also, you can put some in a little bowl and dilute with water and sit it around in different areas of your house on days when you have your windows open and it will make the whole house smell wonderful! I also keep some under my kitchen sink near the trash can to keep that from smelling.

Use your Tide the next time you mop your floor instead of "special" soap for your floor. My husband worked at a fast food place for over 10 years and they used Tide w/Bleach to clean their floors. It's an excellent cleaner and degreaser and it will make your whole house smell fresh.

Put it on cheapcycle in your area, someone will buy it.

I remember my mom using Tide to wash dishes when her dish soap ran out. I now keep a foaming type pump bottle with water and a little tide for that really stuck on food "stuff" and soak awhile. Works great.

Cheap or expensive detergent (in powder form) kills moss on your sidewalks. Just sprinkle some one, wait about 4 days till it turns a rusty color, then spray or sweep it off.

You could donate it to whatever cause you're interested in. Kennels, churches, a friend or neighbor who may be having money problems and would like free soap. It's always good to give if we have extra.

I would just use the Tide in the new washer. Use half the usual amount and you should be fine. That's what I've been doing the 5 1/2 years I've owned mine.

Get a very pretty jar and put the Tide in that. Then call a church and ask if they know of anyone low income (trust me, they do), that could use a little help by getting some free laundry detergent.

I have used 'full' suds washing powder (of which I keep some on hand for hand washing or steeping) in my front loader when I have run out of low sud powder. I simply use half or less of the amount required. I have also used some when mopping my floors. It won't go to waste!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I really appreciate your help!

Marcie from Wisconsin

PS I love my new front loading washer!

transparent container of liquid laundry detergent
Other Uses for Laundry Detergent
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 18, 2008
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
A box of laundry detergent
Reusing Laundry Detergent Boxes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎉
🎄