Acid Reflux Remedies

I am looking for some acid reflux remedies and advice. Any advice would be helpful including diet suggestions, exersizes that might help, foods to avoid as well as drugs that have worked for you. I know it's a common problem so I figured I would start a thread about it. My doctor prescribed Nexium.

Stan from Idaho

I was sick for quite a long time before a doctor finally did an endoscopy and found tears in my stomach. This isn't exactly acid reflux, but I know that the medicine I take, Aciphex, is for that purpose. I actually started with Protonox, but it is very expensive and the insurance company made me try something else. Aciphex works great for me--it's like night and day. So if the Nexium doesn't help, ask if it is possible to either get Protonix or Aciphex. I hope that you have good insurance for prescription drugs, because these things are dam*ed expensive if you have to pay for them outright. But frankly, as sick as I was, I'd give up everything to pay for my medication. I don't ever want to feel like that again!

I wish you all the luck for good health!

Oh, btw--look for real licorice. It's great for your stomach. Try the natural foods aisle. I don't know the brand, but it has a picture of a panda bear on the box. Another great thing is Lipton's "Ginger Twist" tea. Ginger is also good for a bad stomach. Obviously, you want to avoid overly spicey, gassy or heavily fried foods.

Hi Stan, Here's what's worked for me so far. I had gained some weight so took off five pounds with better diet and exercise and have another five pounds to go. I also tackled my eating habits a bit more and avoid the following: too much caffeine in the morning (have limited myself to one cup of tea instead of two at breakfast); pineapple, green peppers, greasy food, wine (I think the acidity botthers me). Also, sit up when eating and don't slouch as when I do, it seems to open that pyloric valve causing the acid to back up. Doing the above and using the occasional over the counter antacid bought at the Dollar Store has helped a lot. I do plan to monitor this closely and will discuss it with my doc at my next appointment as you have to be careful of the acid causing esophageal cancer. I hope my tips and the others help you. Good luck!

When I drink too much coffee (which I love) I get horrible heartburn and reflux. Tea also does this to me. I think it's the acid in it. I just take the acid reducer in generic over the counter form and it works great for me.

What fun this is!! Just kidding. The acid reflux is very painfui without some help. I am taking Prilosec and it seems to work quite well. I have to be very careful not to go to bed with a full stomach. I try not to eat after 6:30 in the evening or I will wake up with pain. When this starts, I have to sit up in the recliner and take an OTC Zantac until it calms down. I have been told that peppermint and chocolate are both bad for reflux although neither of these seem to contribue to my problem. Rule of thumb: Never lie down on a fully tummy! I hope yours gets better soon !

Drink lots & lots & lots of water. Stay away from ginger ale & caffein & tomatoes & fried food. Even Sliders here in Chgo area.(White castle hamburgers). Believe it or not butterscotch candy. Werthers hard candy. Do just what every one else says too. Feel better.

Well now, I may have a little surprise. It was a large suprise to me when I realized just what it was that had stopped my acid reflux from happening.

My Naturopath physician had me take two tumeric capsules with each meal. Tumeric is a spice very popular in the asian population. This was supposedly for another purpose, but I discovered a long time later that it was responsible for totally relieving the acid reflux problem. So I looked it up in my natural remedies book and, low and behold, tumeric is also a digestive aid which people use to treat acid reflux. Now, I never have to take those medicines which completely stop the production of acid like Nexium and those others. Check this out people, and go see a Naturopath Physician as a first line of helpers. Natural is so much better for and easier on our systems. My local hospital utilizes the services of both. And the Naturopath section is overseen by an MD so my insurance covers it.

take a shot of straight apple cider vinegar or pickle juice right before eating

You might try "Gaviscon". My husband takes one or two spoonsful after each meal. This was at the suggestion of his doctor. It has worked great for him.

Real licorice can cause high blood pressure - be warned!

-----------

Sleep on an elevated wedge. Get your pillow 6 inches above the bed! Doc told me to do this and it helps.

Don't eat:

a. too much protein

b. too much greasy food

c. too much food

---------

When I go for spicy Mexican food, I always do two things:

at beginning of meal, take a Prelief pill (non-prescription pill available at drugstores, usually stocked in the antacids aisle)

and

at the end of a meal, take a digestive enzyme pill (available at health food stores - the ones with ox bile give me indigestion, so get a vegetarian formula)

-----------------

Drink low acid coffee (www.toddycafe.com), also available at health food stores.

-----------------

I was put on the www.drmcdougall.com low fat vegan diet. It helped control the symptoms.

I've heard that one of the things that causes this is the fact that you don't have enough acid in your stomach. Try a little apple cider vinegar every day. It's a lot cheaper than any meds you could take for it! The more concentrated it is the more expensive it seems but the less you have to take and 1 bottle will last a loooonnnnng time! Hope this helps.

Ae you sure this is acid reflux? Many ,many people get symptoms of an acid stomach because the proteins they eat are not being digested (too little HCL in the stomach) Drink apple cider vinegar in water (about 1 tablesoon in a glass of water( right after a meal). take note that if it helps then that is your solution. Also try Bromelain. Keep a diary of what you eat each meal, what your symptoms were to help find the culpert that is causing this. <smiley>

use the vinger suggestion it is awesome really works

Vinegar and grapefruit trigger my GERD.

Aciphex is a cure for my heartburn. I have tried most all the others & this works best for me. My insurance company made me try Prevacid & I started suffering after 2 pills. Had to literally FIGHT for samples from my new doctor of Aciphex until this is straightened out with my insurance. Nexium worked for awhile. But everyone is different & not all work for all. 24-7 heartburn is a nightmare. I know.

i too take aciphex for mine. but have a question..does anyone know if this is a lifelong condition.will you always have it once you do get it?

I was put on Prevacid and after I took it for about 7 days, I stopped taking them and it went away for awhile, now when it flares up I take the Prevacid for a few days and BOOM! it is gone...This works for me and my Fiance.

I have heard that the vinegar helps, but I have never tried it.

Another thing to try is the OTC antacids...like the Equate brand at Walmart (we take the little pink pills) in between the Prevacid "treatments" and it works well...in about 15 minutes we feel relief.

Yes, it's a lifelong condition. But the acidity can vary from slight to severe at different times.

Generally, if you are careful about what you eat and have minimal indulgences, you will have minimal repercussions.

That means, when you have spicy food, don't make it extremely spicy and don't eat too much of it.

Also, have a Prelief pill before each meal and an enzyme pill after each meal.

I prefer vegetarian enzyme pills as the non-veg ones make it worse probably because of the ox bile.

These pills are available at health food stores, Whole Foods Market, Central Market... might even be at your local drugstore if it has a large enough vitamin pill selection.

Some people find that taking Probiotics seems to help significantly.

I hope you are all careful with remedies. I too have it, although I don't get heartburn. I had a endoscopy recently because I was having pain right where the ribs end and vomiting. I have a small hiatal hernia and gastritis. They said my espohagus is just beginging to change and it can later in life become cancerous. I was given Previcid. No red wine, tomatoes ( right, my favorite food) no milk or fatty foods. The mattress should be raised about 6-9 inches at the head. Not pillows, the top of the bed. Don't eat for 3 hours or more before bedtime.

Val

i told my doctor there was no way that i could live without my fresh salsa and other very spicy foods. one of the reasons is my sinus's are so bad i can't taste anything without the spice. he said he did not care but luckly the hispanic nurse heard me and when he left she told me about alovera juice that you can buy at any walmart or pharmacy. it is better cold but if you are having an attach just turn it up. i don't take any meds now and i dont even have to use the aloe that often anymore.

I guess I have had reflux for a long time but did not know it until recently when I am overloaded with stress and after 2 SIGMOI tests in one month. Since them my stomach really acts up. I have gas coming up to my mouth quite a few times in a day. I even burp as soon as I wake up in the morning. My throat is dry, though I do not cough. And I still have a lump in my throat.

My Dr prescribed famoditine and instructed me to avoid caffeine, tea, alcohol, etc. Also no food & drink (water included) 3 hrs before bed. Raise headboard 6 inches. It's been 12 days since I started to take famotidine. My throat is still dry, occasionally the lump is still there, though the frequency of burping is somewhat lessened.

Does anybody have the same symptoms as mine? How did you go about to lessen it without taking Famotidine or any prescribed med? What alternative meds do you use? I'd love to hear your advice or suggestion. I don't want to get throat cancer :( Thanks.

Hi everyone, I just want to give some tips on how to feel better when the acid attacks:

1. Put 1/2 tsp of baking soda in a cup of water drink every 2 hours.

2. Acidophilus promotes optimal intestinal health you can get it at walgreens or walmart.

3. Omega 3,6,9 oil capsules

4. Radinitine 1/2 hr before eating

5. Drink a lot of water, and eat 3 times a day 4 hrs a part with moderate portions.

You will feel better, good luck.

Hi everybody. I have been suffering from sore throats, no coughing though. I also get stinging eyes and nostrils and also earache sometimes! I was wondering if this could be acid reflux? I don't often feel heartburn, but I do suffer from belching after meals. Thanks in advance.

Acid Reflux
Remedies for Acid Reflux
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 21, 2006
A car battery.
Cleaning Up Battery Acid
Cleaning a Leather Couch
Vomit on a Leather Couch
A spoon of baking soda for use as an antacid
Homemade Antacid Recipe
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎄