BirdsPest Control

Territorial Scrub Jay

Category Birds

Here in California we have Scrub Jays (not called Blue Jays since I was told those are on the eastern coast of USA). My very own Scrub Jays has torn apart our window screens (to make a nest?).

I was going to replace the tattered screen but when I took down the screen he just went to started over on another window screen.

Now this bird keeps hitting the window (the one with the screen all gone) in a vain attempt to scare off the other bird - my yard is his territory!. Of course, he doesn't realize that the reflection isn't another bird... so this happens quite often during the day.

Any suggestions about what to do to help this Scrub Jay? :-)

West Coast Jean

Try putting window clings on the window glass to prevent a reflection from appearing. You could also try hanging a wind chime outside the windows. I don't think he'd fly into them.

I had these ridiculously stubborn swarming birds once wanting to nest on my front porch. I would not have had a problem with it except they were making their nest out of mud and making a huge mess right where all of my daycare parents have to walk at. I hung pie pans, a huge sheet over the whole opening of the porch, and sprayed air freshner out there, all to no avail. I finally had to board up the ledge where they were trying to build a nest. They finally left but they were incredibly stubborn! It took about 2 weeks! I know you can't board up your windows, but if you could temporarily cover them with posterboard or cardboard so that they couldn't get to the ledge, maybe they would leave! Good luck!