Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?

Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs, but sometimes dogs enjoy cat food. This guide is about whether cat food is OK for dogs?

Cat Food
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My Rat Terrier likes cat food better than dog food. Could someone tell me if it's bad for her? I would like to feed her dry dog food, but she won't eat it. Any suggestions?

Catbuttons from KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

According to my vet, cat food has more calories than dog food and that's why they like it. Most terriers are pretty hyper to begin with, so they probably burn the calories off better than other dogs; at least our Jack Russell Terrier does. What you might try is to mix the cat food with the dog food for a couple of weeks, then slowly wean the dog off the cat food - using less each week - until he's completely off the food.

Our dog would eat the cat food, but I keep it on top of the clothes dryer. The dog food stays on the kitchen floor and many times the two cats will help themselves to the dog food too.

Best Answer

My understanding is it's the reverse. Cats should not be fed dog food, which some are tempted to buy because dog food is often cheaper. Cats have more complex needs than dogs, and dog food doesn't give them the nutrients they need. Dogs can eat cat food on an emergency basis, but should not be fed it as a regular thing.

Read More Answers...

A lot of people use treats for dog training these days. A handy and convenient treat to use is dry cat food. The pieces are small, which prevents over feeding your dog. They are dry, so they are nice to put in a pocket for outdoor training. They seem to be much more tasty than dog kibble (I have never tasted them to find out!), but dogs seem to find them a lot more exciting as a reward.

By Kathy from Superior, WI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets FoodApril 25, 2013
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food
A tuxedo cat sitting in front of his food.
How Much Should I Feed My Cat?
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 9:15:08 PM on 10.0.1.22 in 909 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.