Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?

Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs, but sometimes dogs enjoy cat food. This guide is about whether cat food is OK for dogs?

January 19, 2011 Flag

A lot of people use treats for dog training these days. A handy and convenient treat to use is dry cat food. The pieces are small, which prevents over feeding your dog. They are dry, so they are nice to put in a pocket for outdoor training. They seem to be much more tasty than dog kibble (I have never tasted them to find out!), but dogs seem to find them a lot more exciting as a reward.

By Kathy from Superior, WI

You are right about the convenience. However, cat kibble contains more fat than dog kibble. All cat food does. That is why dogs like it better. So that is why I do not use it, if you use a lot of training treats you might end up with an overweight and unhealthy dog.

Giving a dog cat food is not good for them, yes they are small but you can purchase a bag of premium dog food (Blue Buffalo is a holistic food no filler & other junk in it) for treats. They have small breed adult food with the tiny kibbles, or even try Cheerios. Please keep the pets with their own foods.

Dry cat food is a no no for dogs. It has a lot of other things in it that do not agree with most dogs. Can make dogs ill and they can die from it if given too much. On the other hand dry dog food is also bad for the kitties, If they eat it on a regular basis it cause liver damage and death. Know this from my own experience. I keep the cat food up high where the dogs can't get to it. I use Hollywood Stars liver flavor treats for training and have for years. I buy them at Walmart very inexpensive. I do part time dog training and they are small and work well. If you want them hard just leave them out and they dry out and the dogs still love them. Even the most froo froo dog can't turn their nose up.-- lol

I assume you are not attending a professional obedience class? Without speaking to the chief instructor about the cat treats, they may not be in the best interests of your dog's health. Please consult you veterinarian. Good luck.

October 13, 2008 Flag

My Rat Terrier likes cat food better than dog food. Could someone tell me if it's bad for her? I would like to feed her dry dog food, but she won't eat it. Any suggestions?

Catbuttons from KS

Best Answer

According to my vet, cat food has more calories than dog food and that's why they like it. Most terriers are pretty hyper to begin with, so they probably burn the calories off better than other dogs; at least our Jack Russell Terrier does. What you might try is to mix the cat food with the dog food for a couple of weeks, then slowly wean the dog off the cat food - using less each week - until he's completely off the food.

Our dog would eat the cat food, but I keep it on top of the clothes dryer. The dog food stays on the kitchen floor and many times the two cats will help themselves to the dog food too.

Best Answer

My understanding is it's the reverse. Cats should not be fed dog food, which some are tempted to buy because dog food is often cheaper. Cats have more complex needs than dogs, and dog food doesn't give them the nutrients they need. Dogs can eat cat food on an emergency basis, but should not be fed it as a regular thing.

I have a rat terrier almost 17 yrs. old that prefers our cat's food to her own...even though both are dry. At her advanced years she is missing some teeth & can't chew dry too well. So...I tried buying chicken broth at our local grocery store & put enough in her dog food the just cover the dry food. I also warm the broth slightly before mixing with food. Now she gobbles up her own food & pretty much stays away from the cat's. Same is true with our 4 year old long-haired chihuahua.

While some dogs can survive solely off cat food and do fine (my mom had a Pomeranian that did), it isn't recommended as many dogs can react VERY badly to it. My dog, Sandy, was fed a can of cat food every morning when we first got her because it was cheaper (I find it funny someone said dog food is cheaper. I think it's the other way around). It literally tore up her system. Luckily, we caught it before it did permanent damage. But, we learned our lesson and right after that, All our cat food eating dogs were switched to dog food. If your dog doesn't like kibble, why not try canned?

Pets FoodApril 25, 2013
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food
A tuxedo cat sitting in front of his food.
How Much Should I Feed My Cat?