Glass Lids Stuck Together

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

Best Answer

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

Best Answer

Put ice in the top one, that will make it contract. When it gets good and cold, try separating them.

Yes... This trick did help me. What I did is I kept the jammed pans in freezer ovrr night, next morning just held the outer surface of lower pan to hot tap water... Guess what in few seconds the pans came apart by themselves like a charm :) hope it helps

OMG!!I it worked, I freeze the glass dish with the saucer stuck inside for about 2.5 hrs. I then boiled a saucepan of water, place the pan with hot water in the sink then place the frozen glass dish and saucer inside, moved away cause I was scared it explode. Waited a couple of minutes and whew it came apart. Thank you

Best Answer

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

what about putting them in the freezer? Make sure they are dry...seems like things get smaller in the freezer

I don't know if they will break, if they are casserole lids they are probably pretty tough and thick, but use at your own risk!!! I mean, if you've tried everything, right?

I just separated a lid from a canister. It was firmly stuck and put it (the edge of the lid) under running cold water in the sink. Ok, I know we do not have to waste water, but this glass canister (like the ones from old pharmacies, with a lid which simply inserts on the canister) was not mine and I was about to have a big problem.

After 2 minutes, I started gently to turned it from left to right and with the help of a thin sharp knife, it opened!!!!

Thanks anyway for the advices mentioned. I use a bit of each one.

I had two caseroles wedged together--the top one at an angle. Using suggestions from your website I filled the top casserole with ice, let it get cold, then placed both casseroles in hot water on the sink--the hot water just below the top of the bottom casserole. It wouldn't budge. Then my husband walked in with a wrench, used it as a lever, and POP, just like magic, they were separated.

pots and pans stuck together
Separating Dishes that are Stuck Together
Home and Garden Repair OtherSeptember 22, 2005
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
Stack of Glass Dishes
Unsticking Glass Dishes
🎄