Gardening With Your Kids

I have two little boys and they are growing pumpkins this year in our garden. We bought these little kits for a dollar each but you could use a recycled container and a package of pumpkin seeds just as easily (maybe a yogurt container). I hope we will get some great Jack-o-lanterns this year but even if that doesn't pan out, it will be a fun experience.

Gardening with your kids is a great activity. I find that my boys will eat vegetables easier if they more involved with where they come from. They can watch the plants grow every step of the way, help with weeding and other pest control (slugs beware!). Plus they get to dig in the dirt, look at all sorts of interesting creepy crawlies and be connected to the natural cycle of seasons. It is a wonderful project for the whole family.

You can also tickle your children's fancy with the small black oil seeds for birds. The birds have thrown a few to the ground enough times under the feeders. I left some last year and they grew to be about 8 to 12 inches tall under the tree. The flowers are about the size of a large dandelion.

One bag of these are low cost and you get many in the bag. The trick is to plant them where the birds won't find them. But last year we put a toy snake in the garden to scare away the birds. It was one that got larger in water. Well we had so much rain that when I went out in the garden, I jumped a mile. I forgot the toy was there. It got so big I thought it was real!

A mom planting flowers with her child.
Gardening With Children
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 1, 2007
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Growth Chart
Making a Growth Chart for Your Kids
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🎉
🎄