SnacksRecipes

Making Nachos in a Toaster Oven

I took back the Hamilton Beach toaster oven. It heated up the kitchen so much I thought our air conditioning was broke.

I bought a Krups 1600 watt convection toaster oven instead. www.eopinions.com had excellent comments about the FBC2. If it hadn't been locally available, eopinions also raved about a Cuisinart whose number I don't have handy.

Any suggestions for time and temperature for making nachos?

Thanks,
Holly Gates from Richardson, TX

P.S. Bed Bath & Beyond honored the lesser price at Fry's and let me use a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon, too! I went to Customer Service with the oven and Fry's phone number. They called and verified the price. Also said I could bring in a competitor's advertisement instead of a phone verification.

Hi! I really like doing chicken nachos as a fast and easy dinner on a friday night. The key really is to have your toppings warm before they hit the chips - eg. chicken, beans, cheese sauce, etc.(use the jarred stuff to make it easy on yourself) I like to nuke those things seprately, build my nachos and then sprinkle more grated cheese on top. Melt the cheese in the toaster oven at a temp. a bit higher than moderate (400F-425F is good) Use a nice melting cheese. Sometimes aged cheddar breaks down into an oily mess. You can use young cheddar, smoked gouda, or fontina cheese - hey, get crazy and combine them all! Don't put the nachos too close to the heating element at the top of the toaster oven or they will burn in 30 seconds flat. It should take no longer than 5 minutes this way, but keep an eye on them!

I hope this helps!

That Chicken Nachos recipe looks and sounds tasty!

And you answered a question I had without realizing it.

My chips keep on burning by the time the cheese melts. Now I know it's not just me and how to prevent this from occuring.