Update and Print Personal Medical History

After many trips to the ER, I decided to use my Microsoft Word and memory from my visits and put them to good use. I put my name, address, insurance info, next of kin, as much medical info about my health, allergies, doctors names, driver's license, SSN, etc, and listed all my medications and dosages. When I have an emergency, I print it out, keeping it updated, and take it with me. Also, I print a copy to take to the doctors offices so they know what my other doctors are prescribing.

I have had doctors and ER tell me they appreciate it and wish more people would do this. Of course, some don't want to read but if you can't remember at the time, this is very helpful. It also is appreciated when I tell them they can keep the copy to put in my file.

By Linda from Arlington, Texas

Just FYI--if you have a serious medical condition of any kind, consider MedicAlert (www.medicalert.org). You can keep all your health information and history on file with them for a fairly low fee, adding information by calling them or online, and you get a bracelet or necklace with a symbol that medical personal are trained to look for and recognize, with an 800 number. When a health care provider calls the number and gives your code (also engraved on your charm), they can get all your information, even if you're not conscious. The MedicAlert people will also call whomever you designate; I have my primary and pecialist doctors and my close family on my list. our privacy is still protected, because nobody's going to see your access number unless you show them, or you're unconscious and they look at your bracelet/necklace to help you. But it's even better than a paper, because it's not going to get lost or damaged in an accident, and because paramedics, etc., are trained to look for it and find it right away. (Records in your purse wold be useful if you can provide them, but if you're unconscious they may be found days later or not at all, and they can be damaged beyond usefulness.)

My basic service costs about $25/year. You can also get other products and services if you want, like a little flash drive that will carry your medical records on our keychain.

Hi Linda, I use the same procedure for my mother and I. I also keep several copies in her medicine box along with a color copy of each tablet with the dosage in case of emergency I just give to ambulance driver.My mother will soon be 80 YOA so I prepare her medicine in advance for her. I use 2 X 3 Bagettes that I purchase at the craft store. I always use red sharpie pen to mark AM on the bagette bags and the medicine bottle top.I use black sharpie marker for the PM dose. I also have a sample of AM and PM dose package taped inside the box to double check. I put the packs in a marked bowl with AM always on the left and PM on the right.The final step is an instructional sheet of the procedure in case someone had to prepare the medicine. My mother takes approximately 9 pills a day and I wanted a way to assist her and assurance it was done correctly for her safety. It appears to be a long process but it is simple. This beats trying to open 9 bottles twice a day. I hope this will help someone. Have a nice day. Diane

I have a similar list on my computer for my mother (I am her caregiver). It is on my computer with printed copies in my purse, her purse, and taped on the inside door of the medicine cabinet. It was priceless when she had her stroke. I have never had anyone not love the list. Her doctor comments on it every month when we go. He even uses it to keep notes of any reactions to new medications he tries out. Every couple of months, he has so much written on it, he asks for a fresh copy.

Betty in Michigan

Great idea, Linda. I have a similar set up for my mom. The only thing I would leave out is my SSN & drivers license number. With so much identity theft going on, I would worry about one of those copies getting into the wrong hands while at the doctors office or hospital. I have read about people now stealing medical insurance numbers & using your insurance. Can't be too careful, I suppose.

Trish in CT

A woman talking to her doctor.
Preparing for a Doctor's Visit
Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 28, 2007
Elderly Couple Paying Medical Bills
Paying Medical Bills When on Medicare
Caring Doctor
Saving Money on Medical Care
Woman Fixing a Printer That Won't Print
Fixing a Printer That Won't Print
installing software
Installing Corel Print House
🎄