Let Mushrooms Dry Out

contest winner icon

Do you like fresh mushrooms? So do I. When you buy more mushy-roomy-rooms than you need, what happens then? They go slimy and get dark spots. Very unappealing and disgusting.

The best way to store mushrooms is in a small paper bag in the fridge. Over time they will shrink and dry out. This is the key. Let them dry out! When they are dry and shriveled put them in a zip bag and store.

Later when you need them, soak them in a little warm water and WA-LA! They are flavorful and ready for the next recipe! You can buy dehydrated mushrooms at the market for a really big price but making your own is cheaper and frugal!

Try it, you'll like it!

By sue123 from Oroville, CA

Great tip, thanks! Can't wait to try it. I have fresh 'shrooms in the fridge right now, just love them, and had wondered how to dry some for later.

Hi Craftermary!

I am so glad you read my post. Happy shrooms! A tip. be sure the mushrooms are really dry. Otherwise, they will become moldy. So you can store them in the freezer in the dried state. This method is good for green peppers, chilis, even celery if it is chopped fine and kept in the good ol' paper bag! Sue

Just make sure it dries out very well before you put it in a zip bag and in the fridge. I grow my own mushrooms (oyster) and have done this with great success.

The word you want is "voila." It's French.

Thank you all for the info on keeping mushrooms. No more throwing some away.

Small Pile of Button Mushrooms
Storing Mushrooms
Food and Recipes StorageApril 1, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms