Memorial Day Wreaths
Many years ago my mother-in-law taught me to make this wreath and this year I am making it for her.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- 1 wire hanger
- plastic bags
- spray paint
- artificial flowers
- hot glue or wire
- Shape the hanger in a round shape and straighten out the curved hook for a stem to push in the ground.
- Any plastic bag will work, grocery bags or dry cleaner bags; the thing to remember is those with labels on them will take more paint if the label shows through your paint too much.
- Cut the bottom sealed thick part off the bag. Gather the rest of the bag together lengthwise keeping the edges as even as you possibly can. Cut across the plastic in around 2 inch slices. Lay aside until you get a sack full.
- Then, straighten out one slice, fold it in half again and again until it is around 8 inch long, cut into 8 inch strips.
- Tie these strips around your shaped wire; keep tying them on your hanger until you can't squeeze anymore in. Take all the time you need to separate the strips and fluff them out.
- Paint your plastic strips with a quick drying latex paint and decorate by tying on the flowers or hot gluing them on. I like to use full stems and leave the stems as long as possible and secure them to the straightened hook to push in the ground, glue them together so you have only one stem.
- You can purchase lettering to attach to wide ribbon and glue across the wreath if you want, from florists. These are very easy to make and the kids can be involved. Make it fun and share stories of the people you are making them for as you are working on them to make it more interesting.
By Ann from Loup City, NE
May 22, 20110 found this helpful
What a great way to use plastic bags and the result is stunning! Great job!
May 23, 20110 found this helpful
Great idea for recycling. Beautiful colors. Thanks for the easy to follow directions and photos.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 23, 2016 at 4:40:32 AM on 10.0.1.143 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us