Keeping Soaked Beans Handy

Bulk beans are so much cheaper than buying canned beans, it always takes a little planning though, and in the past I'd always forget. Not anymore, I have a big yogurt container boldly marked "BEANS" that I keep filled with soaking beans in the refrigerator all the time.

When I make a pot of beans, I've made it a habit to clean the container, refill it with beans and water, then put it back in the fridge. In a few days when I want to make beans again, they are ready to cook.

Now, I make beans at least once a week, so this works very well, and the beans don't go bad. It's healthier too. I know what I put in my beans and don't have to read a label to double check ingredients.

I try to keep at least one cup of beans soaking, but usually two. Cover the beans with equally the same amount of water if not more. Sometimes after a couple days I will check them to make sure the beans haven't soaked up all the water and will add more.

Here is my favorite easy bean recipe:

• 1 cup pre-soaked black beans
  • 1 cup pre-soaked kidney beans or other bean
  • 1/2 or one whole onion, diced (to taste)
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup of rice or quinoa
  • 1/2 bell pepper, any color (optional)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil (other vegetable oil may be substituted)
  • 1 Tbsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp - 1 Tbsp. cayenne (to taste)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. chili pepper flakes
  • 1-2 Tbsp. garlic powder OR 2-4 cloves freshly diced garlic

Directions

1. Rinse your soaked beans in a colander. Dump them into a large stock pot and cover by about an inch-two inches more of water.

2. Boil on medium heat until soft, but not squishy. Usually for about an hour. Check on them occasionally to ensure water level stays above beans and that you don't burn them.

3. Put oil, all spices, and garlic into a frying pan on medium heat and fry for about a minute.

4. Add diced onions and peppers to oil and fry for another minute or two until just soft, and remove from heat.

5. Dump beans into colander and rinse again, then return to pot.

6. Mix beans, diced tomatoes, and onion spice mixture together.

7. Add rice or quinoa and one cup of water. Cover.

8. Heat back to a slow boil for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until rice/quinoa have cooked thoroughly.

Serve with chips as a snack, with tortillas and taco fixings, or eat as a main dish.

By Mara

This is a wonderful idea! May I blog about this if I give you credit?

Blessings,

Robin

hasanyoneseenmypurse.blogspot.com/

I never have soaked beans. When we want beans, I just cook them in the crock pot, season with whatever I want in it, and just watch to see if I need to add water. Takes about 6-8 hours on low.

Great plan to keep beans soaking in the fridge. I use my pressure cooker to cook soaked beans, 20 minutes is just fantastic.

Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Cooking Dried Beans
Food and Recipes Food Tips Beans and RiceMay 5, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Gas from Beans
Reducing Gas from Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄