Cleaning Toenails

What can I use to clean my toenails? They are dark/dull around the cuticle area. How can I make them look white and pretty again. I was once told to soak them in Clorox for about 20 minutes a day. Can anyone confirm this? I don't think it is fungus because I do not get pedicures or wear toe nail polish.

Onesummer

You don't have to have pedicures or paint your toenails to get a fungus, sometimes it just happens. But usually it's a thickening of the nail and a yellowish color. I personally wouldn't soak in Clorox, that stuff is a little strong. Think of how your hands feel, slimy and slick, even after a few drops get on them, it's caustic.

I would try straight lemon juice, that helps with whitening of the nails or peroxide? Do some internet research. But I would make sure with a doctor before I start anything, you don't want to mess with something that isn't what it seems.

Good luck!

I think you should see your Dr about it to be sure. Even call his nurse and describe your toenails. Bleach would not be the answer and would be way too strong for your skin let alone your toenails. Hydrogen Peroxide is safe; however I do not know if it will brighten the dark areas.

yep, somewhere I remember reading about using lemon juice also. Vinegar may also be a possibility.

I would not use bleach. Have you heard of interstitial cystitis, they suspect bleach as causing it. Belive me it is so painful you beg for a urosotomy.

Vicks Vapo Rub cures fungus, if that is what it is. Peroxide sounds more sensible.

I know that a Listerine foot bath works well on fungal problems and Athlete's foot maybe it could help you too? If you feet are nice and healthy it won't hurt and it might just keep your feet looking neat!

Good luck!

Monique x

Somerset, U.K

I have heard of an old timey remedy and that is to cut a hole in a lemon big enough to insert your toes inside the lemon and leave on. Lemon is a natural bleach and the acid will kill the fungus or infection. Use one lemon per toe. Be sure you do this in private because you dont want neighbors think you have lost it lol...good luck!!

an old toothbrush and bleach is the best cure scrub them good leave on five mins is all 3 times a weekly

Try soaking or wiping with peroxide several times a day. I use peroxide on my fingernails when they start to be less than white.

vinegar and water bath for feet several times a week for 2 weeks, great nails and great feet, works

Try denture cleaner-- I did and my toes look better. After reading this forum, I'm going to be a little more careful with my feet. I want them to remain pretty. Also try removing the dead skin around the nail bed and under the toenail-- be sure to buff and shine the nail too. I heard that nailpolish that contains formeldahyde yellows the nail. But then I heard formeldahyde is no longer used in nailpolish- make sure your nailpolish is new. I once used a "cheap" brand, colored orange, and it left my nails orange tinted after removing with polish remover. (Just speaking from experience)

My toe nails are dark, and I have shown them to the doctor, but he said, they are a bit discoloured and there is nothing for them, because it isn't a fungus. Does anyone know a good proven method, to make them white again. thanks.

Anonymous

Baking soda is amazing for everything!!! Just put some in some water and soak your nails in it for about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps