Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What is a Floating Shower?

I was wanting to know if anyone can tell me about a baby shower that's called a floating shower. I don't know anything about it, hopefully some of you all do.

Thanks,
Teresa from Va.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Dee Armstead08/15/2014

My first floating shower, I purchase a "Coach Diaper Bag"! I got a hug and a thank you for coming. It was not a party, a shower is suppose to be fun. I spent time from work and family and money on a nice gift to get a hug and punch.

Well I could have waited until the baby was born, saved me time and rush order fee and visit the hospital once the baby arrived.

By BoredXstitcher09/23/2011

I'm in the minority here, but I think floating showers are not a good idea. I was invited to a floating bridal shower for a girl I barely knew, and I surely wouldn't have known any of the other guests. It was an invitation to stop by anytime (I felt it was essentially an invitation to drop off my gift).

I would have gone to a traditional shower, even if I didn't know the bride very well, because there are typically icebreakers planned for guests who may not know each other. But what was I going to do, besides say hello to the bride and then scoot on out? It left a bad taste in my mouth, and I didn't go. And of course, I wasn't invited to the wedding either.

By Jean05/30/2010

Floating baby showers are great. It allows for one party if there are a lot of friends and family to invite. The guest can stay as long as they like or simply drop by to enjoy personal time with the expectant mother. There are no games however there is usually is a great variety of refreshments. With schedules today, a floating shower is a great alternative to the traditional shower. In the area I live, I've always known the floating shower to be given at one location.

By Deborah (Guest Post)02/19/2009

Floating Showers are awesome! They give the parents one-on-one time with each guest. We always have snacks and drinks and small homemade gifts to give out in appreciation of the visit. No one is rushed off and it is a pleasant way to spend the day. It reminds me of the days when people actually had time to visit and catch up with each others lives.

By Marie (Guest Post)09/20/2008

I just asked the question, I could know how to set one up for one of my co-workers. With what I read I think it is a nice thing to do since we all can not sit down with her at the same time.

By Morgan. (Guest Post)05/28/2008

I really disagree ader. I had a floating bridal shower and it was so nice, people came and wrote down a piece of advice on a note card my sister (the host) took a picture with me and each person alone and put it in a photo book. People stayed as long as they wanted. Visited, had snacks and left when they needed to and so many more people came then we expected. I still have my photo book and it is fun to look back on it now. I think they are great.

By Nancy (Guest Post)03/19/2008

Floating showers are great for those of us who want to see the expectant mother, wish her all the best, but have little time on our days off. Rude? I think not. I think it is rude to ask grown women to play silly games. I love floating showers-baby or bridal.

By ader (Guest Post)02/27/2008

It's a vulgar practice that amounts to an "invitation" to drop off a gift -- which the guest of honor may or may not bother to open in your presence -- but not to entertain you in any way. "Hosts" of these things tell themselves that they are actually doing the guests a favor by not making them sit through a party (not saving themselves money and work). Well, if you aren't fond enough of someone to want to spend two hours in his/her company, you probably aren't fond enough of someone to give him/her a gift. It is hosts' responsibility to provide a pleasant event, so if games are boring, skip them and simply open the gifts and have refreshments and conversation. I have heard an even worse reason for this idea: "We don't have room enough for all the people we want to invite." Heaven forbid you give up the idea of getting more loot in favor of only inviting as many people as you can host graciously. As one poster above said, in some communities, this is going on. But before you decide "no one thinks anything is wrong with it," check out some of the other web sites about entertaining, etiquette, etc., and see the horrified response of many, many people. If I got an invitation like this, no matter how pretty it was, it would look to me like, "You are cordially invited to buy someone a present, drop it off, and beat it. No one wants to socialize with you, but you do owe some tribute, so cough it up."

By Karla (Guest Post)07/08/2007

Barb is right, a floating baby shower is when the time is "floating" for when you attend the shower. You can go anytime during the "2-4pm" and stay as long or as short of time as you like.

By Barb (Guest Post)07/26/2005

Floating Showers are very popular in our area. A time is given, say 2:00 - 4:00pm and guests can come anytime during and stay just minutes or longer (float). Refreshments are available during the whole designated time. It eliminates the need of games or other intertainment.

By cynthia (Guest Post)07/25/2005

you go from house to house...I do not know why you would do this, especially for a baby shower (why would a pregnant woman want to go from house to house?) but I imagine that's what it is. A floating dinner party is where you have the appetisers at one house, then everyone moves on to the next house for dinner and yet another for dessert. hope this helps.