Great Book Deals at Thrift Stores

I have recently become a "reader". I wanted to start my own library so I could be able to read books at my own leisure and to be able to lend my books to others to read. I started purchasing books at the book store paying the asking prices for my books. I realized that books are too expensive. I located a used book store near my home and started buying books there. Recently I began finding books at my local Goodwill Store. I am amazed. I have purchased a lot of excellent quality hardbacks for only $1.00 each. Some that I bought at my local Goodwill Store look brand new, the price listing on the inside paper cover being anywhere from $7.99 to $32.99. I have a great library now with over 100 books to read and to lend.

By Sharon from PA

You mentioned GoodWill. Try thrift stores and garage sales, they are, for the most part, quite a bit less than a dollar. Side note: Excellent decision you made in reading. You may find a new world opening up to you within the pages of a good book. :)

My friends and I trade books. The more traders the better.

Our wonderful library in Scotland, CT has book sales during the year. Also books can be purchased in one section for 50 cents for paperback, a dollar for hard covers. Many are barely used and look new. A great way to find your favorite author, or discover a new one while supporting your library! Works for me.

Garage sales are the best. We have found first editions and lovely coffee table books for a quarter or dollar.

Daedelus Books (salebooks.com) has current books, CDs and DVDs) for 3-12.00 and a flat rate for shipping. I also like having a library (especially cookbooks and mystery fiction) and aside from the library I use Daedelus, Hamilton Books in New England, and garage sales. I haven't bought a new book at retail in 4 years and it was a Wm Gibson I couldn't wait to read.

Yes, I agree that reading is a wonderful past-time! Goodwill is a bit high priced on their items. I do better on books at garage sales and mostly pay .25 for paperbacks. I have so many books stored under our bed, I have reading material for years to come! When I'm done with a book, I just donate to our library. Also our library has a small section with books, videos and music CD's for a very cheap price. These are items that they no longer need in the library or people have donated. I can get books or magazines there for .25 each.

Also, if you have a library in your town, that's always a good source for free reading materials. Our library has a good website and I can look up what I want to check out. I can put something on hold too if it's already checked out and I can always renew if I don't get finished in the alotted time. The library is wonderful, use it!

Register with www.bookcrossing.com and you may be able to 'catch' some free books in your area. I've released quite a number into the 'wild' and it's interesting to get feedback from people who have found them; also how far they have traveled.

Our libraries in San Diego have books on sale every day, paperbacks are 25 cents, hard covers are 50 cents. Try these places also. I agree with the comments above about thrift stores and/or garage sales also.

Rosalie

And if you are looking for a particular book you can go to Alibris.com and find almost any used book or out of print book.

Saving Money On Books, Stacks of old books at a flea market or used book sale.
Saving Money On Books
Better Living Frugal Living TipsOctober 22, 2010
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
Thrift Store
Southern California Thrift Stores
🎉
🎄