Happy Birthday USA Cupcakes

When my kids were tiny, I wondered how to teach them the significance of Independence Day. I was reading Sesame Street Magazine with my kids, and saw a page that was entitled, "Happy Birthday, USA!" Then a great idea hit me, what's a birthday without CAKE? I took the kids shopping and we decided on strawberry (or cherry) chip cake mix with white cream cheese frosting with red and blue decorator's gel for the lettering. We made cupcakes, frosted them, and wrote "USA" with the decorator's gel. Each cupcake got a blue birthday candle so everybody at our family barbecue could sing Happy Birthday to the USA and blow out their own candle. It was just the right way to start teaching our children the importance of patriotism. Independence Day is more than parades, food, and fireworks. Now my kids are teens, and we still keep the tradition.

Just a baking hint - if you are making a cake mix, add 1/2 cup - 1 cup of sour cream to the mix before baking. It makes the cake SO MOIST and more like scratch!

By Marie from Idaho Falls, Idaho

You're sure a great mom!

This is one of the best idea I've ever heard. I dont' have kids, but sometimes I still like to celebrate different holidays, but I never know how . This is definitely it.

And I can't wait to try out the sour cream tip.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

This is nice. We've made sure to talk to our daughter about where this holiday came from, why we're celebrating. She's a little young to know all the nitty gritty stuff, but we're getting there! Thanks for sharing!

A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesJuly 1, 2008
Cupcakes with spiderweb designs on top.
Making Spiderweb Cupcakes
Beautiful wedding cupcakes with flowers.
Displaying Wedding Cupcakes
Cupcake with a Frankenstein decoration on top.
Making Frankenstein Cupcakes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making Mummy Cupcakes
🎉
🎄