Concerns About Pet Rubber Nail Caps

I would advise anyone who is considering the rubber nail caps for their cat or dog, talk to their vet first. There are two concerns I have:

1. I tried them and it is difficult to keep the glue off the nail beds. My one cat developed an autoimmune problem in her nail beds. The dermatology vet can't confirm that the glue was the cause, but she is a bit suspicious and recommended that I stop using them on all my pets.

2. If a pet continues to chew on the nail cap, they can come off and then it can become a choking hazard. I didn't even think about that when I chose to use them. I would strongly recommend to consider other options besides nail caps.

By Andrea from OH

The first time I saw these I hated them. The idea of giving an animal something of this sort with their child like curiosity and their penchant to chew. It makes me wonder about the judgment some of these people use in coming up with useless products like these. I found out people hate the pedipaws too, it hurts.

I keep my cats nails trimmed and have to sedate one of my dogs to trim her nails with benadryl, and I have to give her about 1 mg per pound of body weight and then she will let me t rim her nails.

The cat has to get her nails trimmed also because she plays with the other smaller member of the household such as the bird and the ferret and the pup. If a cat got out with these plastic things on their feet, they could not escape a predator chasing them because their claws help them climb trees.

Again bad judgment on a pet product again. Robyn

Unfortunatly these were recommended to me by a previous vet. I was trying to avoid a declaw. All my cats'(5) nails get trimmed now, but it doesn't completely avoid all damage especially to my carpets. Ah, the joys of owning pets.

As for your dog, have you tried the Pedi-paws nail trimmer? My Min Pin is terrible for nail trimming with any type of nail clippers. I used to take him to the vet too. The trainer recommended a rotary trimmer and demonstrated it on him in class. He was a bit skiddish, but he was much better than with the clippers. I worked with him at home getting him used to it. Now I am able to trim his nails at home.

I am sorry to hear some are having trouble with the rubber nail caps. I tend to be for just about anything that helps avoid a declaw. I have seen so many miserable cats that have been declawed by owners who didnt know the downside of the procedure. My cats have learned that their nails will be trimmed every Sunday morning without fail. And then they get a treat. About the caps making a can unable to climb... a friends kitten, wearing caps, climbed my leg in a split second (he just wanted to sit on my shoulder). I swear he had suction cups on his feet.

A cat with pink nail caps on.
Using Nail Caps on Pets
Pets HealthFebruary 23, 2010
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet