FlowersGardening

Something is Eating My Impatiens

For years, I've planted orange impatiens around the perimeter of my landscaping. It's very shady on my lot and, at first, I had no trouble growing this annual. Now, it seems the pests are having a field day. The little flowers are speckled with white spots and the leaves are lunch and dinner for some pest. Since the impatiens are such a delicate plants, I'm not sure what to spray on it or even that I should spray. Any suggestions?

By Sande from central FL

Soapy water works great, 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, you can spray it or hand wash them, but you have to get the undersides of everything. it sounds like you have aphids and the soapy water washes them off and keeps them away for a time. Soapy water will not hurt these beautiful (and edible) plants.

Will that also work on roses? I've been using the chemical sprays, which I don't like to do, but it beats having your plants eaten away.