Our Marriage Tips

contest winner icon

As my husband and I approach our 40th wedding Anniversary this week-end, I have experienced friends and family asking me to share our tips for a lasting relationship. I enjoy entering your tip contest. This morning as I opened the ThriftyFun email, I thought why not write down the tips I have shared this past week with others.

1. We have learned to have a sense of humor, laughing at our mistakes.
  2. We have a date night and make it special. It has been as simple as a picnic in the park or a rented movie and popcorn while sitting together on the sofa.
  3. Ad

4. We have both learned not to try to change each other, instead we pray about it.
  5. We both pursue our God given talents and gifts.
  6. We don't argue, there are a list of things we have decided to disagree on.
  7. We both give each other encouragement and sincere complements.
  8. We try not to take each other for granted.
  9. We sit down at the dinner table together and discuss our day, even though our children are grown.
  10. We celebrate time spent with our children and grandchildren.
  11. We both work at staying in good shape and looking nice for each other.
  12. I guess the bottom line is being committed to each other.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

What an uplifting post! Congtatulations on your 40th!! We will celebrate our 32nd this year. All of your tips are great. I would add to it to keep your husband your best friend! Kathy in Illinois

Bobbie!

Nice to see such a nice post. Honestly, my husband and I do the same. A few I need to work on more now that you mention it! Thanks for the reminder!

Jennifer CA

I met my husband in 1958. I can tell you, unequivocally, that a successful marriage depends on the mutual agreement to accept and embrace the fact that your spouse is going to occasionally act like an absolute idiot. U^u*U

What a blessing! We've been married 24 years and look forward to many more! Thanks for sharing.

Great tips. My husband took the DYNAMIC MARRIAGE class offered at our church and it HELPED a lot! A lot of churches are offerring this class and thousands of marriages have been saved and improved. Even those saying they had 10 marriage walked out saying they now had an 11!

A lot of these principles above are covered. I now know what makes my husband happy and upset and try encourage one and avoid the other.

Thanks for tip. Marriages are to be treasured, uplifted and glorified.

Congratulations and blessings for many more happy years together.

Good Job and Congrats! Marriage is a give and take! Thanks for all your reminders!

This is good advice considering how many failed marriages there are. You are so fortunate that you have a willing partner. All of us were not so lucky. Congratulations on your 40th and many more to come!

Happily Married Couple
Tips for a Successful Marriage
Better Living InspirationalJune 27, 2007
Anniversary Party
25th Anniversary Party Ideas
Two men at their commitment ceremony
Planning a Commitment Ceremony
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
50th Anniversary Centerpiece
50th Anniversary Centerpiece Ideas
🎉
🎄