Uses For Broken Christmas Light Strands

Let's pretend the you have a ton of non-working strands of Christmas lights. You tried to fix them by replacing the bulbs but they still aren't working. What would you do with them?

I have a number of stands of lights that didn't make it past last Christmas. I would like to find some use for the bulbs or the wires beyond just keeping them around and using the working bulbs to replace others. Any ideas?

Corene from Neenah, WI

I'd like to know what to do with mine, too!

Hang them in a tree outside while you wrap them in the trunk of the tree. You can't see the wire but the ones that light will over lap and light up your yard. Works great!

Well, I am thinking if none of the bulbs are working then take them all out and use the strand like it's a piece of rope and the bulbs could be used for decorating Christmas ornaments or maybe even leave the bulbs in and use it as if it were ribbon for Christmas gifts?

If you have no other use for the lights and are willing to get rid of them, putting them into a campfire will give you a couple of hours of beautiful colors. They do not explode. My son in law had a campfire and I asked how he got the fire to burn blue and green and he told me about the broken lights. His family has done it for years.

OK, I am all for being thrifty; but it seems silly to hang on to strings of lights that don't work. I would be fearful of using the cords for anything electrical (if you read the UL labels--the lights are not safe beyond 1000 hours of burn time) and because they have the joints for the light bulbs, I cannot imagine they would be a stong rope. Putting them in the campfire sounds fun (if not exactly eco-friendly), but I would be sure to scoop those ashes into a box and get rid of them afterward, so as not to contaminate the area with chemicals and heavy metals.

You can buy a bulb tester for under four or five dollars at the "mart" type stores. I would pull the bulbs and test them to use as replacements; and throw the rest of the mess out!

It may not be as thrifty; but my family's safety is worth the five dollars I spend on new lights each year... I don't buy into the "recommendations" of the light manufacturers--one does NOT need 100 lights for every foot of tree! I watch for sales or buy them on clearance after Christmas.

I can think of a ton of uses for all the other "useless" stuff hanging around here.... (*grin*); but I have to draw the line somewhere!

Some things, you just have to let go of. Safety first, like the one poster said.

Otherwise, someday after you are gone, your family will look in your attic and find an old shoe box marked "string too short to save"!! That was meant to make everyone chuckle, but that really happened to a lady who's mom saved everything. When she died, she had 2k unused McD's french fry cups...

I say unplug it, cut it up so no one will be tempted to use it.

I take out all of the bulbs and use the wires in the garden for staking/tying up plants that tend to flop over. The green wire blends in with the plants and is not noticable. Since most Xmas lights have multiple strands of wire, you can weave some of the leaves and stems through the wire strands to help hide the wire even more.

Those are great ideas, especially the one using them in the garden. Honestly, I wasn't looking for ideas for using them in a "plugged in" state. Rather a use or craft project using the bulbs or the wires. Thanks all!

I just took a bunch of plugs. I didn't know what they went to to my local recycling center. They will pay you by weight for the wire in the lights.

holidayleds.com will recycle them.

My first idea;a clear glass light bulb cover, or one of those ball shaped vases, and one of those "shop" lights with the cage removed (or any plug-in cord with only a light bulb receiver on the end). Remove just the bulb portions from the string of lights, and hot glue them to the glass. It should look like a porcupine ball with all those bulbs sticking out.

Put the regular light bulb into the opening of the glass, and tape across the hole to keep bulb straight. Tip over the whole thing and set on a table as a lamp. 25 or 40 watt bulb for glowing nightlight, 60 or more watt bulb for brighter lamp.

Or you can skip the plug-in part completely, find a clay pot with a bottom that's just a little smaller than that hole in the glass, spray paint the pot a color you like. Turn the pot upside down, and put your light covered ball on top for a home made/unique gazing ball! Will be pretty with the sun shining through all those Christmas lights.

Christmas Lights in Hands
Uses for Christmas Lights
Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 29, 2008
scatter of Christmas light bulbs
Uses for Christmas Light Bulbs
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎉
🎄