Mom's Money Jar

Since I no longer work outside the home, I've been looking for ways that I have my own money. My husband hands over his check and never questions where it goes, but it is just not the same. I run errands for my son and he is always saying "Mom, you have access to my checking. Go buy yourself something, you spent 4 hours today on my stuff." Well I don't like that either.

So what I did was I washed my instant coffee jar (it has a real pretty red top) and set it on the dining table. Above it, I posted a sign on the wall "My goal: $100 by May 3 for my online AVON order". Well that jar is filling up real fast.(heeeeeh I'm gonna have more than my $100!) My son has not been happy that I never paid myself and stuck some money in there. My husband is emptying his change at night into that jar. When I go to the laundromat, I put the leftover quarters in there. I found a nickle on the ground, it went in there. Well, you get my drift.

This method can be a way to fund most anything. I've been told that I am very hard to shop for because I have such simple tastes. Neither on of my kids want to buy me the mixer that I really want, so I intend to tell them to put money in my jar then I'm gonna tell them what I got for Mothers Day, Birthday, and so on. Right now my jar is bringing me so much pleasure just watching it grow, I might look back through my order and eliminate (Or I might just get what I want). The fun is in the anticipation of knowing my want is a possibility.

So if you have a want or a need-get you a jar and set it on the dining table (everyone in the family ends up there most days) make you a sign and see what happens.

By notwrong from TN right now soon it might be VA

That's a neat idea, but if I did that I have one daughter, who instead of putting money in it, would take money out as soon as my back was turned. She is 45 years old and should know better, but doesn't seem able to manage her money real well. I get blamed for not teaching her how to budget, but I was never taught that either, but have always known that before you do anything "fun" you have to pay rent, utilities, etc. Whenever I approach my daughter about missing money she gets mad and accuses me of thinking I had more than I had. I might be 70, but I'm not senile, yet! lol

I love the idea. I am in the same place. I think we have to come up with ideas that work. I have a son who pays me to do his laundry each week and I put that in a can for myself.

You can also ask relatives and friends to contribute to a fund for the item you want instead of giving you a gift - Like $ for the "harp fund." If they all make modest contributions, it may add up to the $ you need for a relatively expensive item.

Love it! I confiscate all pennies around here, which is easy, since most folks toss them...

I also keep a money jar and empty all my loose change in it every day. It fills up surprisingly fast. When we started remodeling on this house over a year ago I told my kids what I wanted for Christmas, Mother's Day, and Birthdays etc until further notice is a Lowes gift card. They are relieved to know exactly what I want so makes shopping a breeze for them, comes in deniminations of $10.00 up, and with 6 kids you would be surprised how much of my supplies have been bought with those cards.

Coins Flying out of Jar
Saving Spare Change
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyMay 3, 2010
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom