Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?

Category Health
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Many dog owners whose pet survives the parvo virus worry that their pet may contract it again. This is a guide about "can a dog get parvo again?".

My 4 year old Dachshund is having some diarrhea and seems to be refusing his hard dog food. He is still eating just not as much. He almost died as a puppy with parvo. I guess he is a carrier.

What are the chances of a reoccurence of the parvo? He was treated with a booster after a year old, but nothing since. Do I need to be concerned or wait and see how long he has the diarrhea?

By Kathy

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

These are questions best brought to your veterinarian. However, just diarrhea with no vomiting is usually NOT a sign of parvo. I wouldn't push food. He knows how is stomach feels. I'd at least call the vet in the morning and get professional advice. I've never heard of a dog being a carrier of parvo. To the best of my knowledge they either have it or they don't.

Best Answer

Please go to your Vet!

I had a puppy who died from parvo (the whole litter came down with it) After coming to terms and wanting a companion I got another puppy who had survived it from the same litter. Just earlier today he threw up that clear foamy liquid that occurs with parvo. I know the virus will always be in his system, but should it ever act up like that? He's still acting like a normal energetic puppy, but I still want to know if it's normal. Please help!

By Holo

Answers

Read this Parvo info from WebWest animal hospitals:

http://www.vetw  rvovirus-in-dogs

I was surprized to learn that the Parvo virus is airborne-so is, obviously, very easily spread. After more research, the answer to your initial question is no, the dog has the virus the rest of its life but it will not reoccur. Having had Parvo disease, the dog is essentially "naturally vaccinated"-poor dog! Similar to Polio in humans-the irony here is that poeple who survived Polio as children are now finding new medical problems resulting from the Polio disease. However, after a Parvo illness, immunity is very low and other problems may continue and new diseases may occur.

Note that diahrrea and vomiting are common difficulties after Parvo, the dog's stomach and intestines are very weak after the disease and will be recovering from Parvo and open to other problems and diseases.

You should immediately take your dog back to your vet for treatment as these problems can continue and worsen so other diseases may take hold.

Parvovirus is NOT airborne. This is misinformation that has been going around, so a lot of sites may have it. (They get their information from other sites.)

A dog must physically come into contact with the animal or it's body fluids or feces. It can easily become an epidemic in an area where dogs poop in the same area, or someone is caring for puppies with parvo and also caring for other dogs, such as at a shelter. Think "ebola", here.

The parvo virus is extremely persistent in the environment such as the yard and can be hard to get rid of.

I would not panic about one instance of vomiting. I would be concerned after two or more episodes. And clearly the Vet would be the help you need at that time. Good luck.

Having worked in the vet field for years I know that your first statement is absolutely false. This virus can be spread via airborne. Please try and refrain from passing info on without being certain of outs truth.

If my dog survives Parvo can he get it again?

By Ellyn from Marana, AZ

Answers

Yes, if the first illness was mild and they did not take care to stay up on vaccinations.

Well today I took my 12 wk old pup and they told me she had parvo. I asked him the same question in case my pup will make it through and he told me that there is a slight chance that she can get parvo again or can become immune to it. So I would be extra careful and disinfect every place she was so she wont catch it again. And I am glad your dog survived I hope my pup runs with the same luck as your dog did.

Anonymous

can my dog get provo again

My puppy survived parvo and has had no shots. So it can't catch parvo again correct? Many people tell me many different things.

According to reference.com, your dog will be immune for life.

Yes. Parvo is a virus, like the flu, there are many strains of it. They won't get the same train again, but they can get another strain of parvo later in life.

It used to be believed that it just involved 1 strain of Parvo. But now they are seeing many. It could be that the viruses have mutated.

My 4H group went on a field trip a couple years ago to one of our local vet schools. They sat in on a lecture over parvo. this is one of the things they professor brought up. You may also want to read this site, which is about the same as what they talked about at the lecture. http://www.petm  infection?page=2

Can a puppy who had parvo get it a second time?

By Liz

I had a similar situation where I thought my dog who had survived parvo had it again however I had been informed by a vet that my dog should be immune to parvo since he survived it previously I discovered it was hook worms which can mimic the Parvo virus especially there very frightening bloody diarrhea I went to tractor supply company and bought them proper worm medicine and they were better within 2 days if left untreated it will kill them dog just like Parvo I would double check with a vet both are life threatening