Codes on Food Packaging

How do you decipher code numbers on food packages?

By Cheryl from Savannah, GA

Each manufacturer has it's own codes for tracking 'batches' for quality control of all food (and other) items. When you hear about a 'recall' for a problem with any given batch of food it's because of those numbers that helped to track.

February 11, 2010 Flag

How do I make sense of the codes on cans and food products? I'm fine if the product says "Use by..." or "Sell by..." but some of these products just have a string of numbers and letters on them. Please help.

Sandra from PA

Answers:

Codes on Food Packaging

Have you ever noticed there are numbers listed when there are recalls? The codes are used by manufacturers for tracking 'batches.' (02/23/2009)

By Deeli

Codes on Food Packaging

I always use my cell phone when shopping and call the supplier of the product I'm trying to figure the dates on. I also tell them it would be so nice if they put a date on that I could decipher. I always check dates on most every product I buy. I have found many to be out of code. Several vendors say they are in the process of changing their date coding. (02/23/2009)

By Linda

Codes on Food Packaging

I went online to use those "string of codes numbers." It's a good idea to do that. (02/23/2009)

By Carol L.

Codes on Food Packaging

Each company uses different codes. Some may be just the day of product being packaged, some may include the plant that product was produced. Others may include the time of day and other various items the producer needs to know. Maybe you can find a web page on the internet explaining some of these codes but there is no standard all producers use. (02/24/2009)

By Harry

Codes on Food Packaging

I agree, the codes usually don't have anything to do with product safety. Your best bet for determining shelf life is to go to a good reference site.

I like: stilltasty.com. You just type a food name into the search box and it'll tell you how long it will stay good and how you should store it. (02/24/2009)

By Anna

Codes on Food Packaging

Carol L, could you explain exactly how you personally investigate the 'string of code numbers' online? Even on the company websites there is no way to find the meaning of their particular code short of sending them a lengthy email request. Thanks a bunch. :-) (02/24/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Codes on Food Packaging
Codes on Food Packaging
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceFebruary 11, 2010
Whirlpool Washer
Whirlpool Washer Error Codes
Plastic Packaging
Removing Plastic Packaging
Bread Machine
Bread Machine Error Codes
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄