Removing Skins From Tomatoes

What is the best way to strip skins from tomatoes?

By Johnny C. from Conneaut, OH

I dip mine in boiling water for a few seconds. Then allow them to cool in ice water and the skins should slip right off. A large slotted spoon or small strainer works better to do this with than tongs.

Score an X on the bottom of the tomato with the tip of a sharp knife. Put into boiling water for about 15-30 secs. Have a bowl of ice water ready and scoop the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and put directly in ice water for another 15 secs. The skin should peel right off from the X on the bottom.

Yep, mom-from-missouri and samsmomie24 both do it just the way I do. My friend and I did 40 pounds of tomatoes when we canned salsa, and the peeling wasn't difficult at all.

If you want to make sauce at a later date, just freeze the tomato whole in a plastic bag (core if necessary). Take tomato out and run hot tap water on it : the skin basically pops right off!

I always used my dishwasher for tomatoes. Put them in top rack and use the rinse cycle. Wait a few mintes and when you open the door, the tomatoes will be almost peeled.

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesOctober 20, 2009
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Baked Potato Skins
Baked Potato Skins Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎄
🍂