Sea Turtle in the Ocean (Gulf of Mexico)

I was just enjoying the view of the open ocean, when all of a sudden I heard water splashing and a low hum from the water. As I looked over, there was this huge sea turtle. It was easily four feet wide. Sea turtle swimming in the ocean

The sea turtle looked so peaceful, as it waited for me to take its picture. Moments like these remind me of how precious our oceans are, and we should always take care to not pollute them!

By Ale from Delray Beach, FL

I agree with you Ale. Too many people just think nothing about how precious our land, water and the very air we breath is to our own lives. I think our schools should have more classes about sea life and caring for all our water. Don't wait until the young people reach high school either. Begin learning about all of these things in the first grade and continue it all the way through the 12th grade. I think many more students would seek jobs in the marine biology fields if they were given the opportunity to develop an interest at an early age.

One day, we're probably going to have to drink the sea water, so someone had better start thinking about it before it's too late. What a treat it must have been to see such a large and beautiful sea turtle just living the good life out there in the middle of the ocean or Gulf. What was the hum you heard though? Was it something the turtle was doing?

Thank you for sharing the neat photo with us.

I can only imagine seeing a real live turtle that is over 4 feet wide. It must have been a real thrill. I had a turtle when I was a little girl about the size of a 50 cent piece. All my friends would come over to see if he'd grown, and I don't think he ever did.

Thank you for the amazing picture.

Thank you so much the comments! I agree with suziq9 about our schools teaching us about the world and to take care of it so that future generations can enjoy the beauty it has to offer. And the hum was the turtle. Never hear such a sound before in my life.

Hey Ale,

Just saw your sea-turtle and that is really awesome. I would be so thrilled to see one outside in the wild that way. We've seen the big sea-turtles at the turtle crawls in Key West, but that's not like seeing them in their natural habitat. The hum is interesting. Maybe she was singing with happiness.

Thank you for sharing the great photo.

Turtle Photos
Photos WildlifeJuly 13, 2011
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
San Miguel de Socorro church, New Mexico
New Mexico Frugal Travel Guide
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
New Mexico Christmas Charities